Author Topic: looking for info on 1986 SVO Engine/engine compartment fastener finishes  (Read 4660 times)

Offline S412gofast

I am restoring the engine compartment in my 42K mile 86 SVO which has been in storage for quite some time.  I am looking for information on correct finishes for various engine/engine compartment fasteners. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:00:01 AM by S412gofast »
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Maybe a picture of a engine compartment and some specific asks of particular fasteners in different areas needing help with would be helpful. There are a potential of hundreds of different fasteners under the hood. I think a specific fastener would help make it easier for someone answering to use as a starting point and expand from there. Best of luck with the project.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline S412gofast

Thanks for the suggestion Bob.

I am looking for input/confirmation on what the factory finishes are on the following fasteners:

1. Intercooler bracket to intercooler - 4 fasteners  -  phosphate?

2. Throttle body to intake - 4 fasteners  - gold cad or yellow zinc?

3. EGR to back of upper intake - 2 fasteners - zinc?

4. Upper intake to lower intake  - 4 fasteners & Blue Green nut - zinc?

5. Fuel Rail - 2 fasteners - phosphate?

6. Throttle cable plate -  - 2 fasteners - phosphate?

1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65

Offline KevinK

The intercooler brackets are black. I think the NOS one I have may be painted where on the car they seem flat like phosphate.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline bluemax

Thanks for the suggestion Bob.
I am looking for input/confirmation on what the factory finishes are on the following fasteners:
1. Intercooler bracket to intercooler - 4 fasteners  -  phosphate?
2. Throttle body to intake - 4 fasteners  - gold cad or yellow zinc?
3. EGR to back of upper intake - 2 fasteners - zinc?
4. Upper intake to lower intake  - 4 fasteners & Blue Green nut - zinc?
5. Fuel Rail - 2 fasteners - phosphate?
6. Throttle cable plate -  - 2 fasteners - phosphate?

Great to see someone else interested in the finer details of these cars.

The best way to determine the original finish is to look at the backside of the bolt/screw head. Typically this surface has been protected from the elements and still retains the original finish.

From my experience and pics of low mileage cars...

1. Intercooler bracket mounting bolts should be a dark phosphate like manganese.
2. Throttle body to intake  mounting bolts on a later '86 are zinc dichromate. On a '85.5 they are actually gray phosphate, so there is a changeover somewhere in between. I need to look through some more pics for an early '86.
3. EGR mounting - I will look through my pics
4. Upper to lower intake are manganese phosphate (dark). The nut securing the arm to the p/s - alt. bracket is baby blue.
5. Fuel Rail - I will look through my pics
6. I need to look at the throttle cable bracket mounting bolts again. Some pics appear to be phosphate, but that could be the lighting.

Hope this helps... or at least generates more discussion.

Offline S412gofast

Thank you Bluemax this is a start!

Offline bluemax

Glad to help!

Looking at various pics of low mileage cars...

3. EGR mounting bolts are manganese phosphate
5. Fuel rail mounting bolts are manganese phosphate
6. Throttle cable bracket mounting bolts are interesting. Everything that I am looking at look very similar to what you show in your picture. The finish appears to be a gold plating with a bluish tint. Can't tell if the bluish tint is some sort of normal oxidation. I need to remove one off my low mileage '86 and see what it looks like on the backside. I have attached a picture from Daniel Carpenter's low mileage, very late '86 production SVO.

Offline S412gofast

making progress!

In reference to the Dan Carpenter pic.  What do you think is the difference between the finish on the Throttle arm compared to the throttle cable bracket? When I was referencing other pics they both looked to be a Zinc Dichromate.  this pic they look to be different or possible lighting pic angle?

Offline bluemax

In reference to the Dan Carpenter pic.  What do you think is the difference between the finish on the Throttle arm compared to the throttle cable bracket? When I was referencing other pics they both looked to be a Zinc Dichromate.  this pic they look to be different or possible lighting pic angle?

Both brackets should be zinc dichromate. I believe the difference comes from the supplier and/or different batches. The cable bracket has a much darker "gold" color than the throttle arm. I see this a lot going through various pics. The throttle arm's lighter finish is closer to what I typically see on wiper motor covers. The lighter finish is not nearly as durable either.

Offline S412gofast

Thanks again!

Fuel Line Bracket
What is finish on the bracket behind upper intake.  This mounts off the rear studs of the upper to lower intake fasteners.  Supports a fuel regulator and supports fuel lines just before fuel line to fuel rail connection.

Fuel Rail
What is finish on injector fuel rail?  Looks to be a slightly shiny nickel?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:32:13 AM by S412gofast »

Offline S412gofast

Re: looking for info on 1986 SVO Engine/engine compartment fastener finishes
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »
Looking for finish info on the following items:

Fuel Line Bracket
What is finish on the bracket behind upper intake.  This mounts off the rear studs of the upper to lower intake fasteners.  Supports a fuel regulator and supports fuel lines just before fuel line to fuel rail connection.

Fuel Rail
What is finish on injector fuel rail?  Looks to be a slightly shiny nickel?

thanks