Author Topic: 289 Semi Gloss Paint Brand  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Alpha1946

289 Semi Gloss Paint Brand
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »
Would someone please share what semi gloss black paint they are using to paint 64.5 289 engine built in June 1964 in Dearborn?  Does it have to be high heat because I checked with local PPG dealer in Dallas and they informed me that they do not make a high heat paint.  I do not want to use paint from aerosol can.
64.5 Wimbledon White Convertible
Dearborn June 1964
4 speed
76A   M   42   04F   55   1 5
5F08D156472

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 289 Semi Gloss Paint Brand
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
Would someone please share what semi gloss black paint they are using to paint 64.5 289 engine built in June 1964 in Dearborn?  Does it have to be high heat because I checked with local PPG dealer in Dallas and they informed me that they do not make a high heat paint.  I do not want to use paint from aerosol can.
No it doesn't have to be high heat. Many people including myself use the ppg blue paint for the 66 up engine color and it stands up at least as good ( heat wise)as the spray can engine high heat variety. At least that has been my experience.I wil pick a black ppg paint to do the next 65 engine I do.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:02:38 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
I use the basic black urethane from PPG and add flattener to it to get the gloss to something between eggshell and semi-gloss.

Like BG says, it holds up nice.  Of course, you need to use a good primer like epoxy primer and make sure the engine is very clean.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Alpha1946

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »
Thanks for the help.
64.5 Wimbledon White Convertible
Dearborn June 1964
4 speed
76A   M   42   04F   55   1 5
5F08D156472

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
I have had exceptional service using IMRON on engines.  I drive all of our cars, and for long distances too.  IMRON will withstand the obligatory spilled gasoline and occasional antifreeze that  at sometime manages to get on every engine that is in real service, and you will be surprised at how well it looks after many years.  And I mean years!  It is important that you use the proper primer with IMRON when painting over bare cast iron.  There is a certain primer product for IMRON called "paint to metal" ( I think that is the name?) that MUST be used or risk the paint peeling off even with self etching primer as a base coat. Don't ask me how I learned this.  I think you will like every aspect of this paint except the price and the toxic nature of the product.  Both mix and paint it outside if you have no booth and stay upwind from the vapor and things should be fine.  It can be flattened to get the needed sheen you want.  Just one persons experience and something to consider when searching for engine paint.   And to answer your question, there has never been an issue with tempreture causing problems with the paint except on exhaust manifolds.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior