Author Topic: 1965 Factory AC Compressor (Tecumseh) - Completely Rebuilt / Bad Vibration  (Read 5410 times)

Offline rocket289k

Hi Guys,

I just fired up my rebuilt '65 Factory AC system.  The compressor been completely rebuilt (new seals and bearings) and the whole system was overhauled so I could use 134a refrigerant.  The unit blows nice and cold but has a terrible vibration.  It's fine at idle but around 1,500 - 2,000 RPM it vibrates so badly the car shakes.  If you turn the unit off and let it free wheel on the clutch it's completely fine.  Anyone have any thoughts as to the issue?

PS - I'm utilizing the additional idler pulley so this isn't a case of belt slap and vibration that plagued the early AC units. 

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:00:48 AM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Sounds like a bad rebuild of the compressor.  Maybe acquire another to try out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
I rebuilt mine myself, but I am sorry, I didn't take many pictures and I don't have a shot of what I am about to say.

It seems like one part had a counterweight made into it and it sounds like THAT part was put on 180 degrees out?
Either that or 2 piston/connecting rods that are not weight-matched, or a bent crankshaft.

Of course that is assuming that yours has good bearings installed.

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline rocket289k

I rebuilt mine myself, but I am sorry, I didn't take many pictures and I don't have a shot of what I am about to say.

It seems like one part had a counterweight made into it and it sounds like THAT part was put on 180 degrees out?
Either that or 2 piston/connecting rods that are not weight-matched, or a bent crankshaft.

Of course that is assuming that yours has good bearings installed.

Thanks Bryan - I didn't do the rebuild myself.  I'll have to check with the mechanic that did that for me.  Thanks for the info.  The bearings were replaced with brand new ones.  The counter-weight sounds like the most logical explanation at this point.  We'll have to do some investigating when we tear it down.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Murf

Before you tear apart anything, consider changing the tension on the belt that run the compressor.  Just move the idler a bit and make the belt tighter or more loose and see if your vibration changes.  Just  something that has worked sometimes and will not cost you a dime to check out.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline rocket289k

Before you tear apart anything, consider changing the tension on the belt that run the compressor.  Just move the idler a bit and make the belt tighter or more loose and see if your vibration changes.  Just  something that has worked sometimes and will not cost you a dime to check out.

Hi John,

Unfortunately, what I'm experiencing isn't the typical "growling, vibration" belt slap situation that these early AC systems suffered from.  I also have the "non-adjustable idler pulley" installed.  1965 and 1966 Mustang suffered from a condition known as "belt slap" due to the A/C compressor belt vibrating and humming due the long travel from the compressor to the crankshaft pulley (on the driver's side of the engine).  This was fixed in 1967 by a non-adjustable idler available for 1965-66 cars through local dealers.  The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel, pedals and floorboard and a low pitch rumble accompanies the vibration. This condition is usually noticeable at or just above idle.

My compressor is nice and quiet at idle but once you raise the RPM of the engine to 1,500 - 2,000 RPM the car shakes so badly with the AC compressor running it feels like the car is going to come apart.  So Bryan's suggestion of the counterweight being installed 180 degrees out intrigues me given the severity of the vibration.

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:20:00 PM by rocket289k »

Offline 65pon

Is it possibly overcharged with refrigerant?
Do you have all the bracketry correct, including the one to the rear of the intake manifold?

Offline rocket289k

Is it possibly overcharged with refrigerant?
Do you have all the bracketry correct, including the one to the rear of the intake manifold?

All of the brackets are correctly tightened (including the vibration bar that attaches to the intake manifold).  Regarding being overcharged.  I believe that was checked already but I'll have to confirm that.

Ron

Offline sed6

Up from the dead! I sure wish this problem was solved. I'm having the exact problem, compressor vibrates like a paint shaker from about 1600-1900 rpm. Above and below that are fine.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Sounds like a bad rebuild of the compressor.  Maybe acquire another to try out.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rocket289k

Re: 1965 Factory AC Compressor (York) - Completely Rebuilt / Bad Vibration
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
+1

Ultimately, I acquired a rebuilt compressor to solve my problem.  Once I installed the new compressor the difference was night and day.   In my case the original compressor was vibrating so badly the car was shaking (clearly not good).

As a side note, I didn't tear down my original compressor to determine the root cause of the problem so I do not know why it was vibrating so badly.

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:20:11 PM by rocket289k »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »
Ultimately, I acquired a rebuilt compressor to solve my problem.  Once I installed the new compressor the difference was night and day.   In my case the original compressor was vibrating so badly the car was shaking (clearly not good).

As a side note, I didn't tear down my original compressor to determine the root cause of the problem so I do not know why it was vibrating so badly.

Regards,

Ron
Good to read you got the problem taken care of . It would be nice to know what the cause was but sometimes you have to weigh the value of determining the root cause vs. a replacement to solve the problem quickly . Less stress and more time for car enjoyment are valuable commodities. Some will not rest until they figure it out no matter how much time and money it takes . Others just want to do what it takes to get it working right and be done with it. Everyone is different . Each of us has to decide which is best for our individual situation. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:33 AM »
Good to read you got the problem taken care of . It would be nice to know what the cause was but sometimes you have to weigh the value of determining the root cause vs. a replacement to solve the problem quickly . Less stress and more time for car enjoyment are valuable commodities. Some will not rest until they figure it out no matter how much time and money it takes . Others just want to do what it takes to get it working right and be done with it. Everyone is different . Each of us has to decide which is best for our individual situation.

Given the recent post, I wanted to provide an update to how things turned out for me.

Completely agree with your post Bob.  In my case the compressor issue occurred right towards the end of my restoration and a planned 700 mile roadtrip in the car.  Ergo the priority was to get the AC working and worry about the other compressor later. At some point I'll crack open the original compressor to finally get to the bottom of the issue (it's on the list), but I just haven't made the time to do so.  The defective compressor was the factory original (as best as I could determine).  The unit hadn't been used in at least 15 years prior to the rebuild.  The rebuild seemed to go well - the compressor turned freely prior to the rebuild and the bore was in good shape so it was a fairly straightforward rebuild involving seals and new bearings.  Clearly we missed something OR there was an error reassembling things.  I'll definitely post another update when this job makes it to the top of the list.

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:07:30 AM by rocket289k »

Offline sed6

Good updates all, Thanks! The additional pulley didn't help mine either, much. Instead of big belt slap I get two smaller sections of vibrating belt. The compressor still shakes the car a just over idle. I guess a rebuild might by my next step too.

Offline 67350#1242

If one of the reed valves breaks or looses seal it will make for a bumpy ride - acts like imbalance.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67