Author Topic: Identifying hard sealant used in corners of windshield opening  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Turnbacktheclock

I am replacing my windshield and back glass. I found some excessive hard factory sealant under the paint that created an irregularity on the mounting flange. I ground some of this off to avoid potential water leaks. I also removed some of this sealant in a couple corners to treat rust detected underneath it. This is not the soft-non-hardening sealant that is used to set the rubber gaskets. This is a hard sealant that is used in the corners of the windshield and backglass openings that covers the brazed and soldered joint between sheet metal panels. It is covered with primer and the car's top coat color. I is not soft and flexible but hard and stiff. It appears off white or yellow in color when sanded or ground.

Can anyone identify what this material is and what product I should use to replace it?

Thanks,
66 SJ GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Identifying hard sealant used in corners of windshield opening
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
Same self-leveling sealer used in the drip rail and other places like the front edge of the cowl in the engine bay.  There are many products that can duplicate the appearance.  Best to make sure that whatever is used during restoration is compatible with the primers/paints being used.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
Make sure that you don't apply too much - and if it is reduce it as it often makes fitting the corner trim into the opening nice and neat on a restoration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
Bringing up an old thread....

I am working on the cowel to firewall joint (July 67 Metuchen) and looking for your recommendation for self-leveling sealer.  I purchased 3M Ultipro for this purpose, but right out of the tube it seemed to set-up and was very difficult to smooth - so I did not continue.

Can you recommend something that would be compatible with PPG DPLF74?  Metal has been primed and I will be sealing over the primer.  I know this deviates from the factories practice.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »
Is a 2-part self-leveling sealer the way to go or is there a 1-part sealer that would be better for the cowel to firewall pinch weld?  July 67 Metuchen. Thanks, Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:01:38 PM »
I used SEM self leveling and I thought it looked "right", but what do I know, lol. I even let it drip on the firewall, boy was that hard to do...
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.