Author Topic: Common Mistakes 2013  (Read 9398 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Common Mistakes 2013
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
Think this will be a useful annual subject to revisit every show season. We made lists in the past, helped with articles on the same subject in Mustang Monthly and elsewhere. So guys that are judging are invited to post a list of the ten most common mistakes, issues, things overlooked in cars they are seeing. Still plenty of the year left to help others.

Remember - limited to 10 items ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Common Mistakes 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
Here's my list

#1 - Not getting some one to look at the car prior to the show. Too many times IMHO owners finish up cars at the last moment or are hesitant to ask for help so they roll out their freshly finished cars to their first show for the car. This may be the owners/builders first or twentith car its all the same.  No matter how good you are you always miss something and for some this misses can and often will cost you one or more award levels. We all miss a screw here or there, a bracket gets overlooked or a touch up and these misses mean little point deductions - again and again. Often the vast majority could be corrected in one full weekend for little money and its a shame IMHO that a car that other wise would do well instead does not. Please, please take advantage of the resources out there and put your best foot forward the first time out.

#2 - Over and over - DO NOT use black weather strip adhesive.

#3 - Clean the car, yes even those spots you don't think judges will see. Believe me, if you don' t they will park your car one the show field and the sun will be at the moment of judging shinning down illuminating that spot :)

#4 -  Wrong/ borrowed paint marks. Suggestion if you add them remember to bring pictures of the marks from YOUR car with you in your handy little binder ;) "That's what I remember"  - "So and so has them on his car" and similar claims will be looked at as suspect especially if we've seen the same ones on a car in the forums built at a different plant or year or just a different car just last month :(

Will reserve my 6 other choices for later ... need to get to work on another project.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:04 AM »
Here's my list

#1 - Not getting some one to look at the car prior to the show. Too many times IMHO owners finish up cars at the last moment or are hesitant to ask for help so they roll out their freshly finished cars to their first show for the car. This may be the owners/builders first or twentith car its all the same.  No matter how good you are you always miss something and for some this misses can and often will cost you one or more award levels. We all miss a screw here or there, a bracket gets overlooked or a touch up and these misses mean little point deductions - again and again. Often the vast majority could be corrected in one full weekend for little money and its a shame IMHO that a car that other wise would do well instead does not. Please, please take advantage of the resources out there and put your best foot forward the first time out.

#2 - Over and over - DO NOT use black weather strip adhesive.

#3 - Clean the car, yes even those spots you don't think judges will see. Believe me, if you don' t they will park your car one the show field and the sun will be at the moment of judging shinning down illuminating that spot :)

#4 -  Wrong/ borrowed paint marks. Suggestion if you add them remember to bring pictures of the marks from YOUR car with you in your handy little binder ;) "That's what I remember"  - "So and so has them on his car" and similar claims will be looked at as suspect especially if we've seen the same ones on a car in the forums built at a different plant or year or just a different car just last month :(

Will reserve my 6 other choices for later ... need to get to work on another project.
#5 missing pinch weld black out. #6 inapropriate "Caution Fan sticker " because it was in the kit. #7 inapropriate white battery tag on the pos post of a autolite repro battery. The one that says "do not remove". That is a current liability tag and not one from the 60's. #8 leaving stickers on hoses etc. The service parts had stickers to identify them in the parts bins ,assemblyline parts in most cases didn't. #9 unpainted waterpump by pass hose. #10 incorrect clocking of tie rod adjuster sleeve clamps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:37:49 AM »
11. empty washer bottle/bag. 12. dirty undercarriage. If you want to upset a judge let him get grime from your car all over him. 13. dimmer switch grommets 14. armour all. 15. missing dolly marks
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
On many items they do Not say if to do them or NOT to do them . this does not help if it is not specified what way to do them . for many Newbies like my self that have Never shown a car it is very Corn-fusing  not knowing what to do or not to do can you please up date this information for clarification .

Sam

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
On many items they do Not say if to do them or NOT to do them . this does not help if it is not specified what way to do them . for many Newbies like my self that have Never shown a car it is very Corn-fusing  not knowing what to do or not to do can you please up date this information for clarification .
Sam
Have you got an example?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »
A slight change from mistakes: comparing a "Plain Jane" 65 I-6 with a 3 speed and no options, to a fully loaded 69 Mach I 428CJ (A/C, P/S, AM/FM, etc), the odds are the 65 has a better chance of receiving a MCA Gold than the 69. Why? The more you have to judge, the greater the odds of points loss. So - "don't over do it".   
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »

The challenge often is that answers (the right way to do things) is specific to plant year and month so these blanket threads are meant to at least get the attention of the restorer to search out the right answer once they see the "don't do this" \

Example I could say (in general ) don't used the FRONT  decal that comes in your decal "kit"  that would be correct for 80% of the cars at the show but not all.

I could ask owners not to purchase the decal kits since they include allot of different decals that should not be used but to provide a list of everydecal for every year, set of options and models is going to take allot of time

I can see one that could be addressed in a blanket statement from my original post - DONT use black adhesive - use yellow brush on.  I beleive this might be something that could have been done ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:37:27 PM »
Great post guys I think all the points are very clear.  Bob could you please elaborate on #10 not sure what clocking the tie rod adjuster sleeve is.

Thank you!
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:30:07 AM »
tie rod sleeve clamps have a specific direction as per assembly manual. Incorrect clocking can cause clamp to get hung up on ps control valve. Believe there was also a TSB about whistle caused by air movement over slot if left in certain position
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
Tim, are the tie rod clamp orientation judging issues or simply a mechanical issue?

Greg Z

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Tim, are the tie rod clamp orientation judging issues or simply a mechanical issue?
Greg Z
From the 66 Shop manual. The threaded sleeve has a slot that compresses when the clamps are tightened. The slot may be anywhere after adjustment, the clamps are orientated as shown. Original Ford sleeves for 64-66 had a "bumps" that the clamps slid on. The clamps had a raised "groove" that rode over the "bumps" for orientation without sliding off the ends, then the nuts were tightened. 
Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
Great post guys I think all the points are very clear.  Bob could you please elaborate on #10 not sure what clocking the tie rod adjuster sleeve is.

Thank you!
As Tim indicated and as Jim posted a illustration they have a specific orientation for best performance if not oriented properly not only will you be knocked points in a concours venue because it is not as it is supposed to be but you can wear a groove in the side of the powercontrol valve from rubbing on the clamps .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »
Another reason for the orientation of the tie rod sleeves was due to wind noise if the gap is oriented forwards, according to a Ford TSB circa 1965/66.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
Another reason for the orientation of the tie rod sleeves was due to wind noise if the gap is oriented forwards, according to a Ford TSB circa 1965/66.

Yea but then you just shove chalking in the gap - but don't try that solution if your showing :)
Jeff Speegle