Author Topic: Common Mistakes 2013  (Read 9377 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Common Mistakes 2013
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
Tim, are the tie rod clamp orientation judging issues or simply a mechanical issue?

Greg Z
both
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
Thank you for the instructions . I did Copy them to Word and saved them . I have been studying / learning about my Dream Car for well around 37 years ( Now 42) as that is how long it took me to get my 1966 Mustang yet I did not pass the test for it ;( I guess I still have a bit to learn . this just tells me I am not to ol or dead just yet and for that I am Happy and give thanks to the Good Lord above every day I wake up .

Blessings & Best Regards

Sam

Offline BobV

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »
Sometimes, we really need to pay attention to the BASICs. Best part about this list, is that it won't cost you a dime - only time!

My 2014 additions: (after judging OD & DD cars yesterday)

1) Empty the car. Don't leave oil bottles, Bubba mugs, jumper cables, or today's McDonalds trash on the seats, console, floor, or trunk...

2) Vacuum the damn carpet!!! At least do it sometime the month before the show.

3) Remove the floormats and/or clean under them. Of course, some that ignored #2 actually had cleaner carpet UNDER the mats!

4) Don't try to hide your cracked dash under a ballcap or showroom brochure... Really?  ::)

5) Beautiful paint, but remove the wax residue from seams, trim, and emblems, please!

6) Fluids belong on the inside, not the outside of your engine, master cylinder, PS pump.

7) Plug wires do not HAVE to look like spaghetti.

8 ) How DO you see thru those windows???

9) If your wheels have openings, you need to clean the inside of the rim!

10) CLEAN - door jambs, trunk hinges, bottom of doors, hood hinges, pedals, latches, sunvisors. If I can see it, it's fair game!

Ahhh, I feel better now.  8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:02:23 PM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
46k miles 98% original

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Wow, Bob, you've must have seen some doozies!        #9 is a pet peeve of mine.    If I'm looking under the car, I want to see clean wheels on the inside, not just the outside.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
I'll add:

1.  Clean the stones out of your tires.

2.  Don't use tire gloss and shine the concrete, too.  Just leave the stuff alone.

3.  Leave your trophies at home.

4.  Don't put your photo album on the radiator.

5.  Clean the darn trunk.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
4.  Don't put your photo album on the radiator.

Is it ok to display a photo album if you have one?  If so, where should it be sitting?  Or is it better left out altogether?
--1965 fastback, 289/4-spd, built Feb. '65 at Dearborn
--1965 convertible, 289/4-spd, built Mar. '65 at Dearborn
--1966 GT fastback, 289/4-spd, built Dec. '65 at Dearborn
--1966 coupe, 200/3-spd, built Dec. '65 at NJ (in the family since 1968)
--1967 coupe, 289/C4, built Dec. '66 at NJ
--2017 GT

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
leave it out till after judging. judges are looking at the car itself, not all the foo foo stuff some folks just have to have onsite.
5F09C331248

Offline Asm109

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »
13. dimmer switch grommets

I think this one falls in the omission/commission bucket.  Which is correct? Presence or absence?

My only data point is a Dearborn 66 coupe I bought from the original owner in 1977. There were no grommets around the dimmer switch.
When I saw the grommet in a carpet kit many years later I was going hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 11:21:31 PM »
I think this one falls in the omission/commission bucket.  Which is correct? Presence or absence?

My only data point is a Dearborn 66 coupe I bought from the original owner in 1977. There were no grommets around the dimmer switch.
When I saw the grommet in a carpet kit many years later I was going hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Tim mentioned that in reply #3.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline priceless

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
11. empty washer bottle/bag. 12. dirty undercarriage. If you want to upset a judge let him get grime from your car all over him. 13. dimmer switch grommets 14. armour all. 15. missing dolly marks
.....Empty washer bottle???

I'm not putting fluid in my original/date stamped washer bottle.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 11:08:33 PM »
.....Empty washer bottle???

I'm not putting fluid in my original/date stamped washer bottle.

Your then left just to take the small hit if any ;)

There (well most of the time) always seems to be one or two things an owner just chooses not to do.

Don't have to be 100% to win an award if that is the goal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline priceless

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 11:12:03 PM »
Don't matter anyway, I'm in Conservator. But still not putting that blue staining stuff in my bottle. Actually, in 6 years it took me to get to Conservator, never got any points deducted for "no washer fluid'.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 01:23:13 AM »
You only need to have water in there, and if I'm judging,I will deduct points for no fluid.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
Very interesting stuff.  It makes me think, maybe all this stuff should be put into a book, like a judging manual, like a Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide, maybe for each year, written and approved by MCA, updated as new info becomes available and is approved, and offered to people to help prep their cars for judging, and…….NAAAAA   I have already suggested all that and been beat up for it. ;D
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
Very interesting stuff.  It makes me think, maybe all this stuff should be put into a book, like a judging manual, like a Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide, maybe for each year, written and approved by MCA, updated as new info becomes available and is approved, and offered to people to help prep their cars for judging, and…….NAAAAA   I have already suggested all that and been beat up for it. ;D

Lots of approvals and formal stuff there :)  Then you'll have the owners that screams "IT WASN"T ON THE COMMON MISTAKES SO YOU CAN"T TAKE OFF FOR IT"  :) 

As far as getting beat up for bringing up the subjects you listed I'm guessing your referring  to the big Mustang club. Don't worry about being beat up - your not the first or the last to suggest those sorts of things..... that was done 30 years ago. But at least, over the years, We expanded the rules to include allot more details, moved the workmanship and right and wrong categories but to the same pages (use to be almost two separate sets of sheets) and split out the sheets so that each class has their on individual rules. You use to have to dig through the sheets when judging a Shelby (for example) ignoring and skipping over details about other years, 6 cylinders..... and visa versa. These changes and progress has influenced all the Mustang and Shelby rules for all the organizations in a positive way - not to say there isn't always room to grow/improve 

Back to the Common Mistakes But yes there is a reason for listing and trying to get owners to think about all the possible areas where they can loose easy, low/no cost points at shows.  And why I've done these threads here and on SAAC. Also Mustang Monthly took up the idea and did an article like this in their magazine one year that I and others helped with

IMHO its not always up to the organizations to lead - its individuals that have to pull the clubs along sometimes. You and others would be surprised how much the internet and some discussions influence rules and decorum. Sometimes the organizations can become lumbering large ships difficult to turn and slow to get there JMHO ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)