Author Topic: My First Question about the Air Cleaner  (Read 4242 times)

Offline stillboardin

My First Question about the Air Cleaner
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:56:18 AM »
I asked this question on another forum and was made to feel like an idiot.  But I am trying to find the answer.

The air cleaner on my 68 302 is original.  On the underside of the lid is a round piece of what looks like carpet underlayment glued to the lid.  I presume it is a sound deadener of sorts.  It has become very brittle and looks like it will start flaking off if I don't do something.  (the car is not being driven now)
Has anyone else seen this on a January 68 build SJ car?

This is on the underside of the lid

I was told it looked like a cutoff wheel, which it does but that really doesn't help me.
68 Coupe
8R01J131182
Owned since 1981
Currently in various stages of restoration

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: My First Question about the Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »
Yes have seen them on air cleaner lids at yards - don't recall attaching the detail to 68 Mustang specifically. Know I've removed the stuff from a few ;)

Don't recall any TSB article mention of the detail - Hate to see what happens when the stuff starts breaking down and falling down the carb. Maybe that is why they didn't do it for very long or on very many.

Another possibility is that this was some service shops fix for some owners complaint - just a thought
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:22:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline stillboardin

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Makes more sense and much more intelligent than the reply's on the other forum.
68 Coupe
8R01J131182
Owned since 1981

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Makes more sense and much more intelligent than the reply's on the other forum.

Glad we were able to help.  I have been amazed at the quality of information and how cordial folks have been here on the concours forum!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »
i was one of the responders on the other forum.  i apologize if you took my response wrong. i have never seen this stuff on any type of air cleaner & was just agreeing with the other poster. obviously we are misinformed in this area. again i apologize.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:22 AM »
i was one of the responders on the other forum.  i apologize if you took my response wrong. i have never seen this stuff on any type of air cleaner & was just agreeing with the other poster. obviously we are misinformed in this area. again i apologize.

One bonking on the head with a judging clip-board at the next show for you! ;D :o
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline stillboardin

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to dump on you it was the previous poster who needed a little bit better bedside manner. 
68 Coupe
8R01J131182
Owned since 1981

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
no problem. but if it were mine i would remove that stuff be it factory or not. if it is crumbling it will get in the carb and cause problems.
5F09C331248

Offline stillboardin

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
It will be coming off when I refinish the air cleaner.

Thanks to all who responded
68 Coupe
8R01J131182
Owned since 1981

Offline stillboardin

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Two more questions about this air cleaner.
1.  The gasket on the lid.  I assume that general purpose weatherstrip adhesive is used to attach the new gasket?

2.  The vacuum snorkel actuator is missing the vacuum hose nub (must have broken off).  Is this actuator remanufactured or is there a way to fix this. (no pictures available until this afternoon)
68 Coupe
8R01J131182
Owned since 1981

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
Two more questions about this air cleaner.
1.  The gasket on the lid.  I assume that general purpose weatherstrip adhesive is used to attach the new gasket?

Yes that will work holding the seal to the lid

2.  The vacuum snorkel actuator is missing the vacuum hose nub (must have broken off).  Is this actuator remanufactured or is there a way to fix this. (no pictures available until this afternoon)

Not sure if there are reproductions or replacements available - guess you can check with your local parts store to start.  You might be able to fix it with epoxy but it will not look original nor last forever
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)