Author Topic: July 1965 Dearborn door jamb switches-again.  (Read 1428 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
July 1965 Dearborn door jamb switches-again.
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
There was anouther thread on this a while back, and darned if I can find it.
It was deceided that MY car, a JULY 1965 Dearborn can should have the ones with the metal ring-(NON-MARKED) I HAD the white plastic ones in my car, and ordered a set of the metal ones.
Today I removed the plastic ones-(noting that the hole in the door jamb has "ears" on each side-so I thought it would be fairly easy to just pop in the metal ones-nope, no go!
the plastic ones have kind of "teeth" if you will around the back to clip the switch in and the metal ones have a lagers "clip" looking deal on each side-(again, I thought these would go right into the holes)-looks to me as if the holes and "ears" are too small......are there more than 1 size metal-ringed switch?? Thanks!

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: July 1965 Dearborn door jamb switches-again.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
My car is a July 65 Dearborn also. Mine has the steel jamb switches. I've included a picture of one of my originals that I replaced because it was in such bad shape. I also have a picture of the hole. this old switch clips right in. I don't know if there are different metal jamb switches but here's measurements from mine.
The hole in the door jamb is an 11/16" hole and is 7/8" at the widest point of the cutouts.
The metal switch measurements are as follows;
         Plastic is 11/16" diameter and just under 5/8" across the flat portion
         The metal ring is just over 1" is diameter

Just make sure the metal clips are on the inside of the ring so it can compress when you push it in, When I was putting one of mine in one of the clips was outside and it took a little for me to figure out why I couldn't get it to pop in.

Dave

65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4