Author Topic: 1969 4.1 Liter Special at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle  (Read 13380 times)

Offline groovygreen69

• Relic Recyclery
1969 4.1 Liter Special at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Had the honor of being parked next to and took tons of pictures of this original a paint original family owned 1969 4.1 Liter Special at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle. This is the first special color car that I have seen that came with white sport mirrors. Usually I see black ones or just chrome remote ones. Everything was original except for the tires/wheels, exhaust, battery and starter solenoid. The owner drove it 500+ miles to get there and just ran it through a car wash before pulling in. I love it! Cars in this promotion came in either Red, Yellow or Green. This is the first one that has ever turned up. Should be in mustang monthly later this year. -Chris
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no one can!"</I>

Offline Dudley

Re: 1969 4.1 Liter Special at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 05:15:01 PM »
just looking at the variety of colors of car in that display, then I thought of today's new car lots with their predominately limited colors, usually, white, black, silver, and red. Today's pony cars are the breed that still has the greater variety, or am I seeing the wrong car lots. And today's interiors are limited as well.
Anyway, fantastic picture, the white racing mirrors do look a bit odd to me.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »
Would be great to see the shipping invoice or the Buildsheet to see if those mirrors were a dealer change or original to the car.   Would expect to see that they were changed to suit the dealer or the buyer

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline groovygreen69

• Relic Recyclery
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »
Would be great to see the shipping invoice or the Buildsheet to see if those mirrors were a dealer change or original to the car.   Would expect to see that they were changed to suit the dealer or the buyer

Thanks for sharing

It was a special order color car, so the mirror wouldn't be the same color as  the car, which I'm sure you know having had so many special order color cars yourself. The car was literally bought off the truck. The family had just bought a stationwagon when the car carrier pulled in. The father, car nut at the time, literally bought it while they were unloading it. According to the owner's son who was there, the mirrors were always white. Also the father did not want the red 4.1 Liter Special fender decals installed, so no one knows what they really looked like. The guy wouldn't let me dig around his car for build sheets, so what you see attached to this post is all that I have for documents.  The bucktag was too lightly stamped and so covered with paint and grime, that I couldn't read it.  Notice the tape on the tag ? Not sure what that was for. - Chris

<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no one can!"</I>

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
NICE! Really nice!
What I wouldn't give...to have ANY previous owner information OF ANY KIND! I want just a few answers to questions I have had since Day-1,  when bought in March, 1978. Would also LOVE knowing everything from the original dealership's usage prior to selling it. (mine was likely a DEMO, given it's build/delivery date and original sales records on Marti Report)

Richard
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:17:05 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:08:47 PM »
......................  The bucktag was too lightly stamped and so covered with paint and grime, that I couldn't read it.  Notice the tape on the tag ? Not sure what that was for. -

Have seen that before but don't know why yet either. Too thin and different type to have been the normal stuff used to hang a build sheet from - not the same location normally either for that plant and year
Jeff Speegle

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
wow the special paint  was 363 dollars more!! Too bad it didnt cost that much today!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Not to be negative, but I had to do the math to get from a 4.1L engine to 250CID engine (4.1 X 61 = 250.1). It is not a good policy to mix metric and English measurement systems, I point out a NASA probe that missed Mars because of that "quirk". I note that Ford called it 250CID on the window sticker.
On the other hand, the paperwork is almost priceless. I have the same on a 65 GT Fastback, window sticker, dealer invoice and owners manual. The previous owner included a stack of service receipts and the original floor mats when I bought the car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
Very cool!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
wow the special paint  was 363 dollars more!! Too bad it didnt cost that much today!

??  the price for special paint was $13.90 . $363 was the total for all the options on this fairly basic car
Jeff Speegle

Offline Toejamm

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »
I just saw this, I have been MIA for awhile. 

The reason for the mirror color is probably as follows - The sport mirrors in 69 were painted in a different location than the body.  Ford was not going to go to the trouble of painting sport mirrors special order paint colors.  So, for special order paint cars, the choices were the standard chrome mirror, or generic black or white sport mirrors.  Makes sense.

Fran
Present Mustangs:
1967 Branded Edition Mustang Coupe
1967 Indy Pacesetter Coupe
1997 Woodward Dream Cruise Edition GT Conv.
2008 Bullitt  Pre-Production 1PP01 - Media Car - First Bullitt Made

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »
I just saw this, I have been MIA for awhile. 

The reason for the mirror color is probably as follows - The sport mirrors in 69 were painted in a different location than the body.  Ford was not going to go to the trouble of painting sport mirrors special order paint colors.  So, for special order paint cars, the choices were the standard chrome mirror, or generic black or white sport mirrors.  Makes sense.

Believe the standard issue for Mach I 's (didn't apply to other cars) in 69 - up was the remote chrome mirror. Only a couple of special order paint Machs have been found with the off color mirrors and its been guessed that those were dealer installed when the owner complained. What is interesting IMHO is that Ford was handling the sports appearance group differently than the Mach I package when it came to special order paint
Jeff Speegle

Offline Toejamm

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
Jeff, I have been thinking this through and let me ask you a question - Did the Sport Mirrors at the local dealership parts dept. come from Ford with a primer finish?  If they were in primer, the dealer would have to paint the mirror some color, why would they paint it black or white?  They would have the correct paint code, why not just paint it body color?

Thanks for your time,
Fran
Present Mustangs:

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Jeff, I have been thinking this through and let me ask you a question - Did the Sport Mirrors at the local dealership parts dept. come from Ford with a primer finish?  If they were in primer, the dealer would have to paint the mirror some color, why would they paint it black or white?  They would have the correct paint code, why not just paint it body color?

Thanks for your time,
Fran

I don't know how this statement (below) represents the true history of the mirror color or how it does not, I am no expert on this subject. It is obvious however, in the belief of the O.P. of the thread, he has already answered an explainantion to this question. Only somebody else "Buying it off the truck" or possibly a dealership employee of the era would likely be able to answer this better.

It was a special order color car, so the mirror wouldn't be the same color as  the car, which I'm sure you know having had so many special order color cars yourself. The car was literally bought off the truck. The family had just bought a stationwagon when the car carrier pulled in. The father, car nut at the time, literally bought it while they were unloading it. According to the owner's son who was there, the mirrors were always white. Also the father did not want the red 4.1 Liter Special fender decals installed, so no one knows what they really looked like. The guy wouldn't let me dig around his car for build sheets, so what you see attached to this post is all that I have for documents.  The bucktag was too lightly stamped and so covered with paint and grime, that I couldn't read it.  Notice the tape on the tag ? Not sure what that was for. - Chris
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:36:31 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Toejamm

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 12:44:55 PM »
Believe the standard issue for Mach I 's (didn't apply to other cars) in 69 - up was the remote chrome mirror. Only a couple of special order paint Machs have been found with the off color mirrors and its been guessed that those were dealer installed when the owner complained. What is interesting IMHO is that Ford was handling the sports appearance group differently than the Mach I package when it came to special order paint

Thanks for your time,
Fran

Even though the post I am referencing is directly above it, I guess I should have included the quote.  Sorry for the confusion.
Present Mustangs: