Author Topic: headlight extension wire  (Read 2996 times)

Offline ceggar

headlight extension wire
« on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
I noticed Alloy Metal sells a headlight extension wire for a 67 with a brown plug and one with a red plug. Is there a difference between the two? thanks
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: headlight extension wire
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
I noticed Alloy Metal sells a headlight extension wire for a 67 with a brown plug and one with a red plug. Is there a difference between the two? thanks
Not that I am aware of. They both were used . My suggestion would be to look at your headlight harness and see which corresponding color is there and then make your choice for the extension based on that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
The only difference is in the plastic molding of the connectors.  For some reason, there were two different colors those years.  Perhaps different vendors?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
I may be wrong and I am sure some one will tell me if I am, but most cars that I  have seen that were red were 67s and the ones that have the brown are 68s.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »
I think both colors were used in 67 however I have only seen brown for 68
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ceggar

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. Just something else to confuss us or at least me!
Gary
67 GTA Fastback "S"Code
09/30/66 SJ

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »
In any case the color you choose should match the other half of the plug on the under the hood harness.
Marty

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:07:07 PM »
==> car in question is my 67 SJ Fastback in Sig <==

As I was painfully cleaning each and every wire that's visible in my main front lighting (and other stuff like regulator, horns, turn signals, etc) wire harness and re-wrapping it to boot, I noticed that the red headlight connectors were stained from years of being in contact with undercoating. I couldn't remove the stains. I decided I needed a vinyl/rubber/plastic paint to remedy things.

In a HD run I went to my favorite spray paint section (Rust-oleum) and bought a few reds whose cap was close to my headlight harness red plug.

I ended up with Rustoleum Colonial Red Satin 249082 as shown in the attached pic. This paint is plastic rated and the plug remained flexible after painting (and clear) without cracking.

Cleaning the harness plug is mandatory and use a real aggressive reducer (not paint thinner). Allow all of the reducer to outgas or put the plug under a heat lamp to dry it.
Tape off the wires and apply a really thin coat. It should take little paint. It covered my black stains with only a light coat. Light is better so that the paint doesn't crack on install.

The plug here was deemed to be a bit shiny (even being a satin), so a light mist coat of Rust-oleum "Matte Clear Enamel" 285093 toned it down a bit.

Great looking plugs are mine!

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
I have been told that the brown ones were 67 and the red 68 but I don't believe its that simple.I have wrecked numerous 67's and I believe I only have 1 brown harness all the rest (6or8) are red.The majority of the cars I stripped were SJ cars.I would tend to believe its a vendor thing....JMO

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
I have been told that the brown ones were 67 and the red 68 but I don't believe its that simple.I have wrecked numerous 67's and I believe I only have 1 brown harness all the rest (6or8) are red.The majority of the cars I stripped were SJ cars.I would tend to believe its a vendor thing....JMO
I believe you were told wrong. Both brown and red were used in 67 at SJ at least. I would be surprised if the other plants didn't followed the trend . The extension should match the color of plug on the headlight harness. I do suspect a vendor issue but have only noticed the red variation on the later produced 67 cars. For 68 I have only seen the brown color plug.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:37:13 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
I believe you were told wrong. Both brown and red were used in 67 at SJ at least. I would be surprised if the other plants didn't followed the trend . The extension should match the color of plug on the headlight harness. I do suspect a vendor issue but have only noticed the red variation on the later produced 67 cars. For 68 I have only seen the red color plug.
This would need to include my 11/2/66 built example also if you call it "later built".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
This would need to include my 11/2/66 built example also if you call it "later built".

Well that's not going to work  but I think Bob is sharing his observations that earlier in the year his findings have been mixed (red and brown) transitioning to all red later in the production year.

Not sure how many pictures I have of that tight area of the car but will try and take a look to see if I can add anything to the discussion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »
I'll add my $0.03 (not inflation adjusted): I have many examples of both brown and red headlight plugs for 1967.  I believe it was a manufacturer/vendor thing as well.

It causes me headaches when I have to dig through the pile to find matching colored extensions if a customer requests that I provide extensions.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Well that's not going to work but I think Bob is sharing his observations that earlier in the year his findings have been mixed (red and brown) transitioning to all red later in the production year.

Not sure how many pictures I have of that tight area of the car but will try and take a look to see if I can add anything to the discussion

Sorry, meant to add that my 11/2/66 built San Jose has red connectors so if it is an "early/late" thing, there is one for the database of examples
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »
It causes me headaches when I have to dig through the pile to find matching colored extensions if a customer requests that I provide extensions.

You mean like me?  ;)

When I needed the pair on my main harness I asked midlife to provide me with the red versions to replace my red versions.

Didn't want any concours judge looking intently at my mismatched plugs and giving me grief! Or having someone come along later and finding I had done it incorrectly!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion