Author Topic: Trunk seal install  (Read 2591 times)

Offline sparky65

Trunk seal install
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
This may be a dumb question but how do you install the trunk seal on a coupe?  The seal i have looks like a horse shoe but with the open end pressed or glued together.  Is that part supposed to fit over the trunk lip?  Which surface gets glued where on the trunk?  Anyone have pictures or a diagram?  Thanks.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk seal install
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »
The open end of the seal does not get glued together and should remain "open"  though years of pressure can bond the ends together.  On originals one of the sides has a flat (with a some what sharper edge), that is glued  to the trunk lid

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
Thanks.  I used the 3M adhesive since it was available local.  Worked really well.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
On the repro seals, always a good idea to rough up the rubber that makes contact with the trunk lid.  Helps give the glue a little extra bite to hold it.  I usually use something like 80 grit sandpaper.  The original seal came with a raw edge, which accomplished the same thing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
On the repro seals, always a good idea to rough up the rubber that makes contact with the trunk lid.  Helps give the glue a little extra bite to hold it.  I usually use something like 80 grit sandpaper.  The original seal came with a raw edge, which accomplished the same thing.

Too late for me but it seems to be stuck really well, I guess only time will tell.  If I remember I may try it on the door seals though.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe