Author Topic: Best Source 67 San Jose Firewall Pad  (Read 6742 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Best Source 67 San Jose Firewall Pad
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
Understanding that there are different pads available, I am seeking a nice 67 San Jose Firewall pad, either OE or reproduction. Clues on a source please. This is one of those items that are difficult to go back in to re-do again.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Best Source 67 San Jose Firewall Pad
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Understanding that there are different pads available, I am seeking a nice 67 San Jose Firewall pad, either OE or reproduction. Clues on a source please. This is one of those items that are difficult to go back in to re-do again.

Richard
The only nice SJ pad is a original SJ pad . The repros are not really a reproduction as it pertains to the SJ one in the true sense of the word  because they are so far off the mark . You can fudge a little on a Dearborn one and can repair a bad one or modify a aftermarket one to look closer to original with the Dearborn spatter look not so on a SJ pad. In regards to the SJ pad the reproduction is more "similar' then a reproduction because it looks so different from what came in the SJ built cars. With that said a nice pad has to be sourced from a SJ car and what with less and less being available and the hassle/time  of removing them success fully you best be prepared to pay a premium for a nice SJ pad. If you can find one for 10 times what the repro pads go for it would still be a bargain IMO. You can use that as a yardstick so you don't pass a nice SJ pad up thinking it priced too high so you can wait for another. Not to say you couldn't find one for cheap but that isn't the typical.  I have sourced many over the years for the SJ built Shelby's I work on so I have walked the walk so to speak.  I just wanted to share my perspective so you understand better and don't miss a opportunity if it comes up.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
To add to Bob's description of his experience I'll add and agree that they are difficult to find in reusable condition. Because of my location I get asked about these allot and can sell everyone I find with one or two phone calls. None of the yards I deal with will even remove them for me  even if I offered them 5 times what they normally charge me for them. Add that fact here is a ton of stuff that has to removed before you can get them out so I often (when I have time to visit on a regular basis) time my visit until the other stuff has been removed for resale by them so it makes my job a little easier.  90% of the time there will still be a deformed or separated edge that will need to be repair hopefully its high on the firewall or can be hidden behind some other assembly.

This is not meant to discourage you only to forewarn you to the task ahead.   Do agree that if you go past this step with a repo you'll never go back to replace it . Know a number of restored cars being shown that start out with a one point deduction automatically because of this details

Good luck with your search - and no, unfortunately I don't have a 67 San Jose pad on the shelf :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
I still have my original, the mice ate out a bunch of the insulation and if I recall, a bit deformed around the steering column. Maybe there is a way to use the backing from a repro and the facing from the original? Once again, I need to look again, I know I didn't tear it up any more taking it out but it seemed fairly tattered.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:28:40 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
Moved the other posts to a separate thread focused on repair and attempts to repair firewall pads ;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19478.15
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:54:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
So, the end result here was I restored my original Firewall Pad. Images of the "before/after" can be found in the afformentioned thread on Firewall Pad Repairs.
Richard Urch