Author Topic: 67 tilt wheel vacuum canister location and pics  (Read 10035 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 tilt wheel vacuum canister location and pics
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
Finally got my tilt away working 8)
Installed a check valve which keeps the vacuum now (vaccum canister engine bay)
Mine looks like Jeff posted (From - 7R01A130x11)
Thx Ralf

Thanks Ralf, I have been collecting data on this subject and with what I have to date, I would anticipate you would have the oblong canister as long as your example has factory AC.

May I ask if your example DOES have factory AC AND tilt, and if these are confirmed on a Marti Report?

If true, do you know if you have a "T" in the vacuum hose to split the AC supply and the Tilt supply? (I would suspect if your example is not too chopped up, this "T" should be found under the dash, not under the hood) I have found so far only one other example that had this "T" under the dash and my example should too, but mine had been hacked up by some teenager, way back in the late 70's and this guy (me) wasn't thinking "Concours" when he did it  ::) :-[
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 04:43:57 AM »
Thanks Ralf, I have been collecting data on this subject and with what I have to date, I would anticipate you would have the oblong canister as long as your example has factory AC.

May I ask if your example DOES have factory AC AND tilt, and if these are confirmed on a Marti Report?

If true, do you know if you have a "T" in the vacuum hose to split the AC supply and the Tilt supply? (I would suspect if your example is not too chopped up, this "T" should be found under the dash, not under the hood) I have found so far only one other example that had this "T" under the dash and my example should too, but mine had been hacked up by some teenager, way back in the late 70's and this guy (me) wasn't thinking "Concours" when he did it  ::) :-[

Richard,
Mine is factory.
AC and tilt away are confirmed in Marti Report.
Since I'm not a real technician therefore unable to answer your other questions. As far as I could see, no T.
However, can take some pictures to post them.
Thx Ralf

Pics
Canister shown and check valve (yellow/blue)
Surely not concours, but doesn't matter. Glad that system is working.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:04:20 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline dlevy

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »
Hi Ralf,

Would you be able to help me out with a picture and a measurement?

I have a tilt-away system for my 67 convertible, but I need to know where the door jam actuator switch should be. My door pillar was replaced and there is no extra hole for the switch.

A picture of your door jam and a measurement from the center of the switch to a reference point like the center of the door light switch would be very much appreciated.

My car has factory AC as well. Just to confirm, with tilt away and factory AC there is only one shared vaccuum canister?

Thanks,
Dave

67 Convertible GTA
Dearborn made in April
A code
Factory AC
Power steering
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:07:24 AM by dlevy »

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
Here some pics of door jam. Factory tilt away. Second from top. And factory A/C. Both in Marti.
And only one vac canister.
Measurements shown  in cm! on my car. Others might be different.

>> horizontal 2 cm (midpoint to midpoint)
>> vertical 3 cm (midpoint to midpoint)

Ralf

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:22:33 AM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »

My car has factory AC as well. Just to confirm, with tilt away and factory AC there is only one shared vaccuum canister?

Thanks,
Dave

The measurement for the switch you are asking about would IMHO, most likely would have been randomly drilled (punched) by a line worker (but yes, you could confirm against another build example close to your car's date and assembly plant)

Then, the 1/2 of your question I wish to address, "Is there ONE shared canister"...again, research has indicated that your build data is an important requirement to determine the most likely answer to that question.

Most importantly, When and where was your 67 convertible built and perhaps a bit less important, do you have confirmation of the Tilt-Away and factory installed Select-Aire, air conditioning confirmed on your Marti Report?

If either of these options have been "added" by a previous owner, being "exact" on repairs or installation becomes a bit more flexible in the responses. Later production vehicles have been upgraded to help in the overall "better" function of the Tilt-Away & AC system and to provide "Assembly Line" feasibility of including the Speed Control option also, without slowing down the assembly line.

It boils down to this, if you are ADDING or CORRECTING an installation of the Tilt-Away option, you may wish to upgrade the installation to the later design to be happiest with the overal function of everything. If going "Concours", dates & location become critical to supply you with the correct details.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:15:22 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Linc

• 67 Fastback GT - Clearwater Aqua
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
I know this is a relatively old thread, but I have a question. My car was NOT equipt with tilt but
I added the column in the 90's when my solid shaft column was bent and I wanted something a
tad safer that a sword pointed at my chest.   I never hooked up the vacuum as it really wasn't
important to me.  But I would like to do that now. 

My question really comes down to the canister styles that I find in original and reproduction form
that have either a single port or a dual port on them. Which was used for what purpose.  I also
have read about check valves, but the documentation doesn't show one in the system.  I would
'prefer' it to look correct, but it doesn't have to as long as it uses Ford parts. My car is a Dearborn
67 Fastback and the VIN (partial) is in my signature.

The car does NOT have A/C, Cruise, or Power Steering.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:34:26 PM by Linc »
============================================
      1967 Dearborn Fastback - Clearwater Aqua - 7F02A120xxx
       I am Linc....  What more could you possibly need to know.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
First what is important to know is when you car was built. The early 67s had a canister bolted to the inside of the rear passenger apron and had a check valve in the vacuum line before the canister. The latter cars used a canister that was mounted on the outside of the same apron and it had a built in check valve. Both had a inlet and outlet. Hope this helps.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
I believe that the separate check valve was only used if you had the Tilt and A/C, and/or Speed Control. If you had Tilt only, the two port canister had an internal check valve. This canister is considerably different and smaller than the one used if you had one or both of the other options.
In looking further at the Speed Control Vacuum Diagrams, it appears that the check valve was not required for the Speed Control.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:37:14 PM by 196667Bob »
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
I believe that the separate check valve was only used if you had the Tilt and A/C, and/or Speed Control. If you had Tilt only, the two port canister had an internal check valve. This canister is considerably different and smaller than the one used if you had one or both of the other options.
In looking further at the Speed Control Vacuum Diagrams, it appears that the check valve was not required for the Speed Control.

Bob
Yes you are correct, had my mind on AC.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »
.............In looking further at the Speed Control Vacuum Diagrams, it appears that the check valve was not required for the Speed Control.

+1 Plenty of possible T's but no inline check valves (not counting ones that may be built into the cans) none needed if the car has only that option.

For others viewing the thread the diagrams are all posted in an article in the 67 Library section
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Linc

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I have gone through my store of air tanks and selected the
internal check value unit that I had with two ports.  For those who were interested the
attached are the choices I had of the small cans. I also had three larger units that were
not can style, but those were clearly not going to look correct.

Now to search the forum for pictures of the hose routing and clips/grommets to secure it. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 10:34:41 PM »
Now to search the forum for pictures of the hose routing and clips/grommets to secure it.

Think that article will especially help out there ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I have gone through my store of air tanks and selected the
internal check value unit that I had with two ports.  For those who were interested the
attached are the choices I had of the small cans. I also had three larger units that were
not can style, but those were clearly not going to look correct.

Linc : Before you go searching wildly, just a few things to be aware of :

1) You still haven't noted if your car has Factory A/C or not. Since you are picking the round vacuum canister (Part # C7ZZ-3E547-A), that says that you do not have Factory A/c. Factory A/C cars used vacuum canister C7ZZ-19A566-A (the larger oval one) plus the check valve.

2) You have also not noted your build date. If you go back and look at all of the Posts in this thread, you will see that there are 3 possible locations for the "Tilt Only" canister, based on build date. These are a) outside (in fender well) of front fender rear inner fender apron; b) inside (engine compartment side) of front fender rear inner fender apron ; and c) under the battery tray.

3) "Heed what you read". In other words, pay attention to what others suggest like checking out the 1967 Articles in the Library Section of this Forum, and use the Search function to find possible other Articles about the same subject.

4) If you still have a question after that, Post another Reply, including all pertinent info (Plant, Build date, Options, etc.) in order to help others with a Reply to your questions. Remember, most people Replying have had a lot of experience, both "hands on" and otherwise, and will be able to assist you, and point you in the right direction.

5) Finally, to use a phrase from our Administrator, "Search is your friend". Use it freely. Not only will it make you more knowledgeable in asking questions, but potentially it will generate other questions to ask at the same time as opposed to thinking about them later.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
BOB: He did mention he had NO AC. Also, since the most recent poster said he merely wished to replicate a "factory-looking" install and since it was not original equipment, I doubt he is also too concerned that it is absolutely 100% correct for his build date. I haven't brought up the concerns you expressed, though I thought the same questions. Then, as this poster notes in his signature:
Richard Urch

Offline Linc

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
uh.. thanks bob...

I seldom search 'wildly' I don't have time for that.

I added the information to my original post that my car did NOT have A/C

The first two replies to my original post on this thread had actually answered
my question, which was had to do with single and dual port cans and why that
was.

I don't have a Marty Report and don't want one. I cannot find my door tag that
has been missing since the mid 90's when it was removed to repaint the door.
So I can't tell you that specific information. The best I can do is bore you with
the many things on my car that, to me, are full of Ford Factory Assembly Line
weirdness. Since I did not own my car for the first 23 years of it's existence, I
cannot and will not say anything is 'original' to it. 

Very sorry if you feel I am not living up to your forum standards.  I am not here
to waste the time of others or create what appears to be a frustration on your
part.  If I am reading into that, I am sorry.  I asked a general question and received
a general answer. I was good with that.

Thanks again to EVERYONE who offered up information. It is appreciated very much.