Author Topic: Spirit of the Sun National Show, Tucson, Arizona  (Read 24152 times)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Re: Spirit of the Sun National Show, Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
Yes, it's not too bad.  I have so much to unload, however, I'm going to park in the trailer lot, unhook the trailer, and drive up there otherwise I would be there for an hour.  LOL

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Do we have an idea how people have registered for the show at this point so far? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
We're at approximately 130 cars right now.  The deadline is March 6th for judged entries, but I'm going to ask for that to be extended to March 15th.  We've been hearing from several clubs in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas that they want to have their March club meeting before registering.  They, like my club, all meet the second week of the month.

Displays can enter up to, and including, the days of the show.  We expect the number of those entries to increase, also.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »
The deadline for pre-registration for JUDGED ENTRIES has been extended to midnight on Friday, March 13th. You can register online via Motosho until that time. If you want to mail your entry, than we must have it in hand by that Friday, not postmarked by Friday.

If you mail it, please first fax a copy to (520) 620-1432 or e-mail a scan of it to aztlan@theriver.com and then put it in the mail with your check.

This deadline does not apply to DISPLAY ENTRIES, which can be accepted up to, and including, March 28th.

Come out and enjoy the fun at our show!

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:30 PM »
I have a second car I could bring if someone has extra room in a trailer to take a car from Phoenix to Tucson.  Concours trailered 1969 CobraJet convertible.  My trailer only has room for one car, and already bringing one. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »
That would be great, if that could happen!  We're at 150 cars right now.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
How many cars were you anticipating? 3 to 4 hundred? I must admit the reason I decided not to attend was that around a month ago when I started to sign up there were no rooms available at the host facility. I did not want to be at a remote location. I was disappointed that more rooms were not blocked/held for this event. I normally bring my rig with 2 cars. My fault for not signing up earlier, but seems like not enough rooms were blocked. Hope everyone has a great show.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
We were anticipating between 200 and 300 based on other shows, but not being in the summer does reduce the numbers that attend.  We still expect to have about 200 cars with the local display entries that are coming in.

We reserved more than half of the hotel.  The original block sold out in November.  We were able to increase it by 40 rooms in December and it booked almost overnight.  I would have loved to have booked the entire hotel but you have to understand how hotel contracts work.  With the original almost 300 room nights booked we were obligated to the hotel for $26,000+ if it didn't book.  The deposit was based on that amount, which meant we had to pay the hotel $5,000 more than a year before the show.  Fortunately, MCA loaned us the money because we sure didn't have it at that time.  If we had blocked the whole hotel (and they never would have let us), we would have had to come up with probably $10,000 for a deposit.  This is not an unusual situation by any means.

All National and Grand National hotels book up very quickly.  This is normal.  What is harder for our show is that there are no other hotels nearby.  The closest are at the airport, which is about 9 miles away.  I've stayed that far at a number of shows, including the host hotel so it really isn't that big a deal.

If you wait until the month before a show to book the host hotel, you will not be getting in anywhere.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 09:45:37 PM »
I would have loved to have booked the entire hotel but you have to understand how hotel contracts work.
I won't go into my background here, but I fully understand how hotel contract room blocks for events work and they do vary from one venue to another. I attempted to book a room two months prior to the event in January and no rooms were available at the group rate. I can't speak for anyone other than myself but that is the reason I chose not to attend.
The closest are at the airport, which is about 9 miles away. I've stayed that far at a number of shows, including the host hotel so it really isn't that big a deal.
All I can say to that response is Wow. Glad to know that to you it is not a big deal. Staying 9 miles away from the event and dependent on a shuttle is not my idea of fun.
Did you go to Disney? Just the shuttle back and forth from the show site to the parking was a disaster.
After attending over 12 MCA National/Grand Nationals in the last 5 years, including all 3 last year, I've learned that some are fun and well prepared and some are not.
If you wait until the month before a show to book the host hotel, you will not be getting in anywhere.
It wasn't a month - it was 2 months prior to the event.
you will not be getting in anywhere.
Not a true statement - plenty of well prepared great events out there.
As previously stated I still hope you have a good show.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »
Two months before January would be November.  We had rooms available in our block until around December 20th so I don't know why you couldn't book a room.  I'm sorry it happened because we would have liked to have you attend the show, but the block wasn't filled until late December.  The hotel actually had rooms available until last week, but not at our show rate.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
Thanks Laurie,
The event is March 27-29 so 2 month prior to the event would be January. I attempted to book a room somewhere around the week of January 20-23 - therefore: "two months prior to the event in January" . So 2 months prior to the event. Sorry for any confusion.  Have fun. I'm booked for Columbus.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
Oh, I thought you were referring to two months before January, sorry.   Enjoy Columbus, it should be a great show!

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
Be sure to bring a good sunscreen and a hat. Weather for Friday through Sunday currently is predicted to be 86 to 87 degrees with full sun. Between the sun, asphalt, and shiny paint on the cars, many sunburns are predicted for those who aren't careful.   8)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »
Better than rain I guess…….. :)
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »
Sure is, and rain was predicted until last week.