Author Topic: Judges Database Update  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Judges Database Update
« on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
I just finished updating the judges’ awards database and thought I would publish an update on it.  In 2009, after the BOD approved the judges’ pin program that I had developed, I took over the database from Arley Whitsell.  Arley had developed the database in 2003 and it contained the records of who had judged at every National and Grand National Show through 2008.  It also showed who had earned a watch.

I left his database intact and made a working copy.  From that file, I began entering data with the 2009 season.  After every show, I am sent a copy of the sign-in sheets and I enter the names into the database of who judged at each show.  As did Arley, when someone is presented with a watch, that information is entered.

Two years ago, it was becoming very cumbersome to run through the entire database before each show to see what awards each judge had earned.  So, I duplicated my database and created “Active Judges” and “Inactive Judges” databases.  I culled anyone from the Active database who had not judged in the prior two years.  I began deleting active names from the Inactive database, but life interfered and I did not finish at that time.  I also removed any judges from both the Active and Inactive databases who are deceased.  I have not deleted any names from Arley’s database, but also have not added any information to it since late 2009.  The initial splitting and culling of the judges database two years ago resulted in a reduction of names from almost 700, to about 400 in the Active database.

Over the last week I spent about another 10 hours bringing my databases fully up to date.  All data that have been sent to me by Allen Stewart through the Savannah show have been entered.  I also did a second culling of the Active database and finished fully editing the Inactive database.  The cuts were again based on anyone who had not judged in the last two seasons.  Also, any new judges who judged once in the last two seasons were placed in the Inactive database.  My reasoning for the latter is based on working with the database for five years now and observing the very high numbers of judges who only work one show and never return.  Of course, any judges in the Inactive database who continue to judge in the future will be moved to the Active database.

Now for some numbers that will show the status of the databases.  Arley’s database remains at 672 judges.  When I began my updating work last week, the Active database contained 439 names.  It now has been reduced to 164 names, which includes both Certified and Gold Card judges.  The Inactive database contains 785 names, for a total database of 949 judges.

And, on a final note, the “25” judge’s numeral has been ordered and will be available in January at the BOD Annual Meeting and also at the National Shows.  Any questions?  :)

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

MCA National Show Committee Chairman

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Judges Database Update
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
good to know this stuff is actually being tracked. thanks for the hard work!
5F09C331248

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
Thanks!  It was interesting, and rather surprising, to see how the number of active judges dropped so much in two years.

Online caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
Thanks!  It was interesting, and rather surprising, to see how the number of active judges dropped so much in two years.

Hmmm....   ::)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:12 PM »
I'm sure it's actually due to several factors, including age and death.  I delete those judges I know have passed on, but I sure don't know them all.  And, it's an aging population and long-time judges are stepping down from the hard work.  Other members may have left MCA and I don't know the majority of them, either.  So, they all go into the Inactive database.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »
One thing I meant to mention, but didn't is that to receive credit for judging at a show, you must sign the sheet that is passed around at each judges' meeting at the shows.  If you actually judge at the show, the copy that is sent to me will verify that.

Please PRINT clearly and put your MCA number down, too.  If I can't read a person's name, you will not get credit for judging at that show, until I can figure out who the heck you are.  I had one judge at the Savannah show whose printing is illegible.  I can read the first name and the first initial of the last name, but that's it.  Fortunately, he did list his MCA number and I can track him with that.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
I was wondering why Jeff Mays was busting my chops about signing the sheets . He said he did for me a couple times.  I  have been ditching the judges meeting to get a headstart on judging cars and to miss Allen's judges meeting joke ;D. I don't wear pins but I should be sure to sign up each time so at least I can get a free year membership to offset a dinner or two of the thousands of dollars of travel expenses that many of us rack up going to and judging at the shows each year. I have neglected to be consistent on signing the sheet the last few years shame on me. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
I should be sure to sign up each time so at least I can get a free year membership

So I've been missing out on this?  My membership is due in a couple weeks...

Would be a nice token for the effort.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
MCA 74660

Online caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:55 PM »
There were probably some I didn't sign, didn't feel right about taking a 3rd or 4th watch.  I keep a personal spreadsheet of the shows I've attended, last count was around 57, including anniversary shows.

One of the German guys might be the illegible signature from Savannah, Michael, Klaus or Stephan.

Again, thanks for your work on this, the club is lucky to have you.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
So I've been missing out on this?  My membership is due in a couple weeks...

Would be a nice token for the effort.

you must judge at least 3 shows per year to get the membership addition.
5F09C331248

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
I'm sure it's actually due to several factors, including age and death.  I delete those judges I know have passed on, but I sure don't know them all.  And, it's an aging population and long-time judges are stepping down from the hard work.  Other members may have left MCA and I don't know the majority of them, either.  So, they all go into the Inactive database.
Death is correct. Death of an organization. MCA continues to make decisions that do not support advancing the judging program. As usual politics and egos are in the way of positive change. You will not only continue to see judges participation drop but entrants as well. People are tired of the same old games and it certainly appears nothing will change in the immediate future. I don't have an axe to grind so please don't label me that way. Just don't feel like wasting any more of my valuable time with an organization that doesn't support its judges
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
When I developed the pin program in 2009, it changed the watch program.  It did seem silly to keep giving out multiple, cheap watches and I heard that comment from a number of people.  Now, a judge will earn a watch after judging eight shows.  Only one watch is awarded per judge.  We have Certified and Gold Card pins for the judges, and 5, 10, 15, 20, and, shortly, 25, numerals for the pins.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »

It looks like the first name is Ray, and the last name may be Cohen.

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »

Charles, if you want, please send me your show information, and I'll update your data.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
Death is correct. Death of an organization. MCA continues to make decisions that do not support advancing the judging program. As usual politics and egos are in the way of positive change. You will not only continue to see judges participation drop but entrants as well. People are tired of the same old games and it certainly appears nothing will change in the immediate future. I don't have an axe to grind so please don't label me that way. Just don't feel like wasting any more of my valuable time with an organization that doesn't support its judges

2014 had the highest participant average per show since Tari and I started in 2011 although there were only three nationals . I have missed you on the judging field. :(