Author Topic: Drain's inside trunk and sheet metal pattern on the inside door shell.  (Read 2948 times)

Offline slingslingbinks

I have a friend with a 65 Coupe that i'm always checking out. His car is complete and my 64 1/2 is all in pieces.
Today i looked at the drain's in the trunk that run down a hose and dump outside the car through a hole in the outer wheel house. I never knew why my 64 had these holes in the outer wheel house and i plugged the holes not knowing any better.

I also checked out the inside of the door shell. I have some rust pin holes in mine and wanted to see if pattern on the sheet metal was visible through the paint and primer and it is. So much for cutting out the door shell where the pin holes are and welding in a panel. There's no way to duplicate the pattern that i know of.

Does anyone know what those drain's are for? and how can a person duplicate the pattern on the inside of the door shell?

Thank's Scott

Offline Richard P.

Re: Drain's inside trunk and sheet metal pattern on the inside door shell.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
I've never seen those drain hoses before. I don't think that they're stock.

Offline slingslingbinks

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »
The 65 does have a sun roof in the roof, Maybe it's some ones way to drain the sun roof. I'm almost sure the sun roof was added and not that way when the car was built.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:47 AM »
That is a long long run for the drains for an aftermarket sun roof. Seen maybe a half dozen 65-66 coupes with them over the years - various configurations. Guess this companies thought was to keep the drains away from the window mechanisms in the quarter panel areas
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline SamG

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »
Many moons ago I patched a couple of speaker holes someone had cut into the door of a 65 coupe.  After smoothing my welds with filler and primer, I used 3M's gravel guard (green can I think) which dries hard enough to sand.  A couple of medium coats, blended into the surrounding texture.  After it dried, I sanded the tops off of the bumps, trying hard not to get it too smooth.  Applied a sealer then painted. 

While it wasn't perfect, it was acceptable and unless I pointed it out to someone they never noticed.  BTW, I did practice a couple of times before doing it and would recommend the same. 

That said, there are other options (nice used door shells) that are much easier.  You'll pay out more up front but will have a better product in the end. 

A little while back, my granddaughter was in the shop looking over my cars (hoping I'd promise to give her one, I guess) and slammed the door on one of my 64.5 convertible projects.  There was something laying in the passenger seat that slid out when she opened the door.  It put a large dent in the textured area of an otherwise perfect door.  I guess I'll get to try out my PDR skills...

SamG

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »

A little while back, my granddaughter was in the shop looking over my cars (hoping I'd promise to give her one, I guess) and slammed the door on one of my 64.5 convertible projects.  There was something laying in the passenger seat that slid out when she opened the door.  It put a large dent in the textured area of an otherwise perfect door.  I guess I'll get to try out my PDR skills...

...that, or offer her THAT car with the dented door! She'll never forget about it that way :D We ALL need to constantly be reminded just how quickly and easily we can damage one of our works of art. The environment it's stored in can be the most brutal.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
That style of drain tube is consistent with ASC or American Sunroof Corporation units. ASC was on contract with Ford starting back around 1960 for Thunderbird, and then well into the 1970's or later.
http://automotivemileposts.com/aschistory.html
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline slingslingbinks

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »
Hey krelboyne.
That explains the drain's.
C-ya Scott