Author Topic: Brake booster color  (Read 7079 times)

Offline droptopboss

Brake booster color
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »
What is the correct color for the brake booster on a 70 BOSS 302?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake booster color
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »
What is the correct color for the brake booster on a 70 BOSS 302?
Black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
=1 - painted as a unit with the master cylinder and cap - then installed that way. Want to get concours?  The fitting faces of the master cylinder will have a small shadow around each threaded hole where a plug was in place during painting and shipping that in turn produced a shadow
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »
=1 - painted as a unit with the master cylinder and cap - then installed that way. Want to get concours?  The fitting faces of the master cylinder will have a small shadow around each threaded hole where a plug was in place during painting and shipping that in turn produced a shadow

Is that the same for all '70's?

So the cast iron master cylinder, and the cap, and the brake booster were all completely painted black originally?  (except for that shadow around the threaded holes).
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:33:07 AM »
Is that the same for all '70's?

So the cast iron master cylinder, and the cap, and the brake booster were all completely painted black originally?  (except for that shadow around the threaded holes).

Pretty much all of the classic years - Reason I left this in the general area and didn't move it to the Boss or 69-70 only area

Just a few examples using period magazine article pictures well after the release of the new models  - that there shouldn't be any proto types or advertisign cars

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 02:15:22 AM »
low mileage original paint survivor 69 GT500 convert.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
I have a 65 C code SJ with booster and a 66 a code NJ GT without booster. Does this apply to these also and if so are we talking semi gloss or gloss?
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »
I have a 65 C code SJ with booster and a 66 a code NJ GT without booster. Does this apply to these also and if so are we talking semi gloss or gloss?

Pain was semi-gloss black

Master cylinders would have been painted as a unit with a plug (produced a shadow) in the discharge in 65-66

The booster would have been painted with the semi-gloss black also. Have no idea (not clear picture) if the master cylinder was attached to the  booster when they were painted
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
OK and this also applies to a 69-70 Boss ??? thought or remember that when a m/c was a natural color w/ a yellow cad cap ?

so it was  originally  painted black from the factory ( I guess Im only referring to the m/c being black)  it was a replacement  or rebuilt part- so that's not true ?
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »
OK and this also applies to a 69-70 Boss ??? thought or remember that when a m/c was a natural color w/ a yellow cad cap ?

so it was  originally  painted black from the factory ( I guess Im only referring to the m/c being black)  it was a replacement  or rebuilt part- so that's not true ?

Originally it would have all been black with the small natural shadows at the points where the lines attach. We've all seen them where the master cylinder was natural and all sorts of cap colors (zinc, dichromate ...)  those were likely the result of replacing the unit at some point or even just a messy guy filling the fluids and those stripping the paint over time
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 04:34:36 AM »
I apologize for going over old ground but I was informed by a noted Boss restorer (name not disclosed) that for 69-70 Dearborn Bosses, the Booster and MC were painted separately. Then when the units were joined, red-dyed nuts were used.

I was wondering if anyone has seen anything to support/disprove this process?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
I apologize for going over old ground but I was informed by a noted Boss restorer (name not disclosed) that for 69-70 Dearborn Bosses, the Booster and MC were painted separately. Then when the units were joined, red-dyed nuts were used.

I was wondering if anyone has seen anything to support/disprove this process?
i have heard that theory,statement what ever before. If you look at the picture of the low mileage 69 GT500 with unmolested master cylinder that I posted previously in this thread you will notice that the nuts appear unpainted .Now that could be from the paint flaking off a painted one but also could be because they were unpainted to begin with OR as has been surmised ,removed after initial  assembly and brake system function check for some reason involving the installation of the engine. red safety dye was on the nuts when initial installed (not bright red like most do it). I have seen some that appear to have black paint reminents on top of the underlying red safety dye so am not sure if un painted or painted and the paint came off when wrenching on and off.  The common denominator with the vast majority of these 69/70 masters (survivor type) that i have seen had the nuts buggered up indicating that they may had been removed on the car as if the master was taken loose and moved out of the way. The only thing I can think of is for having to do with engine installation. I have NOT noticed this issue on 67/68 as if it started into practice for 69 production.  In conclusion I for one am not sure of which way.  The unpainted nuts observation has validity however there are observations to support that they were painted also (and taken on and off) . Just my observations mostly on 69/70 Shelby's which were produced on the same line as the boss cars.    Maybe others have different observations.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »

Would assume that your referring to Boss 302 not 429?   

Plenty of difference in how the two were handled.  For 69-70 believe many have seen the red dyed nuts that were used but that finish being visible in the final finished product (car)  is the question. Will look to see if I've got a picture of that area close up for that plant.
Jeff Speegle

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 08:14:45 PM »
Yes its for a Boss 302. Bob, I like your surmising that the master could have been loosened/removed during production as I could imagine for big-blocked cars it would get in the way a lot. Its a shame that brake fluid is a good paint remover as it makes this small point so difficult to clear up.