Author Topic: Fox Body Convertible Headliner?  (Read 5743 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Fox Body Convertible Headliner?
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »
I was looking at replacement convertible tops for my '90 7-up earlier today, and I noticed a reproduction convertible headliner.  The NPD catalog states that these headliners were included in '92 on Summer/Limited Edition cars, and were standard equipment for all convertibles in '93.  Is that timeline accurate?  Also, I was guessing that Ford made the addition due to noise levels, and I was wondering if anyone could comment on whether or not the headliner does help with wind and highway noise. 

That being said, I've always told my wife that she wouldn't believe the difference between the '94 convertible I used to have and a Fox convertible.  The '94 was like a completely different car; you could've literally fooled most people into thinking it was a hardtop from the noise level inside.  I love my 7-up, and the interior noise really doesn't bother me unless it's a very windy day and I have to drive at highway speeds for extended periods.  I just can't believe the difference between a Fox convertible and an SN95, and I thought maybe Ford started installing the headliner on late Fox convertibles to deal with the excessive noise.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline stangfan

Re: Fox Body Convertible Headliner?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »
One factor might be the fact that the Fox convertibles, up to and including 93, were built as coupes.  The tops were then cut off and convertible tops installed.  In 94, the cars were built as convertibles from the factory.  IMHO, this would have made the tops better and possibly quieter as well.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »
One factor might be the fact that the Fox convertibles, up to and including 93, were built as coupes.  The tops were then cut off and convertible tops installed.  In 94, the cars were built as convertibles from the factory.  IMHO, this would have made the tops better and possibly quieter as well.

Steve, that's interesting, I didn't know that.  It makes a lot more sense as to why the '94 was quieter.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
I've never heard that about convertibles being made as coupes.  Seems counter-productive to assemble a chassis at the assembly plant and then remove a huge chunk.  Is there any supporting documentation to prove this?  Just curious.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
i always thought that the convertible conversion was done by an outside contractor. maybe that is where the confusion lies.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »
i always thought that the convertible conversion was done by an outside contractor. maybe that is where the confusion lies.

Not sure, just remember that the '83 model was done by an outside vendor.  Converted to convertibles after completely built as coupes in that case.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
Convertibles have come a long way since the 70s and 80s.  I believe you will find photos of 83-93 Mustang cars leaving the factory with a temporary fiberglass top and going off to be converted. Building them as coupes is as close as the factory could do it.

A few people have installed the headliner in the earlier cars and they made it sound fairly easy. I just wonder how effective it is. 

I also just read there are new convertible top materials out now which have made it to the makers  of replacement tops for older cars.  Unless you are installing a NOS top, most of the tops are made by 1-2 companies.  These new sound deadening fabrics were likely developed for newer cars.  Now we get to benifit as well.  I am sure there is a price increase for it as well.  I believe you have to ask for the new stuff.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline stangfan

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »

Cars & Concepts of Brighton, MI did the conversions.  I have a July 1990 issue of Mustang Monthly featuring this process.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »
Cars & Concepts of Brighton, MI did the conversions.  I have a July 1990 issue of Mustang Monthly featuring this process.

Was that just the '83 model?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »
The 83 was done by the American Sunroof Corporation, same company that did the 67 Cougar sunroofs.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 05:01:42 PM »
Convertibles have come a long way since the 70s and 80s.  I believe you will find photos of 83-93 Mustang cars leaving the factory with a temporary fiberglass top and going off to be converted. Building them as coupes is as close as the factory could do it.

A few people have installed the headliner in the earlier cars and they made it sound fairly easy. I just wonder how effective it is. 

I also just read there are new convertible top materials out now which have made it to the makers  of replacement tops for older cars.  Unless you are installing a NOS top, most of the tops are made by 1-2 companies.  These new sound deadening fabrics were likely developed for newer cars.  Now we get to benifit as well.  I am sure there is a price increase for it as well.  I believe you have to ask for the new stuff.

Thanks, Kevin.  Did you happen to see the article in this month's Mustang Monthly?  They installed one of the sound-deadening tops on a '65 or '66 convertible.  I wouldn't mind going that route if one is available for a '90 model, AND if it's not noticeably different from the original design.  I like the idea of the headliner, since it probably quietens the interior down as well as hides the top frame, but I don't want to go that route if the car didn't come that way originally.  For some reason, I like the idea of the acoustically shielded top, but I don't care for the idea of retrofitting the headliner.

Is there a brand name, part number, etc. to ask around for to see about buying one of these new tops?  I checked with NPD yesterday, and the only list the regular EZ-On top.

Offline stangfan

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »
Was that just the '83 model?

No, not just the '83s.  The article does not mention the dates of convertibles, but does state that they were doing T-top conversions on Mustangs up to '81.  For that reason, Ford had them do the convertibles, so I would assume they started with the '83s and kept on doing them up until '93. 
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline KevinK

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
The 83 was done by the American Sunroof Corporation, same company that did the 67 Cougar sunroofs.

I don't believe that was correct. ASC was doing the Capri in limited volume 50 cars by 1984. It would not make sense for them to do the Mustang and then trying to sell their own conversion to Ford at the same time. This is why the Capri was selected as the Mustang was already a done deal. It also would not make sense for Ford to switch vendors after 83 to Cars and Concepts fir the remaining 9 years.
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline KevinK

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »
Thanks, Kevin.  Did you happen to see the article in this month's Mustang Monthly?  They installed one of the sound-deadening tops on a '65 or '66 convertible.  I wouldn't mind going that route if one is available for a '90 model, AND if it's not noticeably different from the original design.  I like the idea of the headliner, since it probably quietens the interior down as well as hides the top frame, but I don't want to go that route if the car didn't come that way originally.  For some reason, I like the idea of the acoustically shielded top, but I don't care for the idea of retrofitting the headliner.

Is there a brand name, part number, etc. to ask around for to see about buying one of these new tops?  I checked with NPD yesterday, and the only list the regular EZ-On top.

I did read the article in MM. Ez on and the other main supplier are owned by the same company. Not sure if it's Robbins or Electrotops. It would seem that you need to request the special fabric. Try the website tops online.com
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:54:54 PM by KevinK »
BAMA Member

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »
I don't believe that was correct. ASC was doing the Capri in limited volume 50 cars by 1984. It would not make sense for them to do the Mustang and then trying to sell their own conversion to Ford at the same time. This is why the Capri was selected as the Mustang was already a done deal. It also would not make sense for Ford to switch vendors after 83 to Cars and Concepts fir the remaining 9 years.

My comment came from the statement below from this link: http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/asc/asc.htm

ASC also built and engineered the reintroduced 1983 Mustang convertible, but due to a higher than expected demand, Ford took over its manufacture in 1984. A longer-lived Ford-ASC project was the ASC/McLaren Mercury Capri and Ford Mustang which debuted in 1984.

Here's an interesting July 1982 article that talks about the Cars & Concepts role: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1983-ford-mustang-convertible-review

It could very well be that ASC was doing some convertible work, and then when volume appeared to be larger than expected, Ford switched plans
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:34:21 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660