Author Topic: 1966 Mustang GT Convertible value  (Read 8138 times)

Offline bulldogg3151

1966 Mustang GT Convertible value
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
I am a new member and looking for a little guidance.I have located a 1966 Mustang GT Convertible that has had a complete fresh restoration from an MCA judge from Virgina about 2 years ago.It is equipped with factory A/C,power steering,deluxe interior,automatic,am/8track and every other factory option except limited slip differential all verified by original window sticker.The car was restored to be judged in the MCA concors ocasionally driven class.My question is what is the current market value on this Mustang?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
1966 GT Convertible San Jose MCA Gold

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 Mustang GT Convertible value
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »
Hard to say without more information.  Would need to know what was done to the body when it was restored, if it is a true GT car, any original paperwork, etc...  Based on the information you've given, I'd throw out a range of $20-40k.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
Car has had a rotisserie restoration and documented with the original window sticker.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:27 AM »
Car has had a rotisserie restoration and documented with the original window sticker.

Original window sticker helps, assuming it is genuine.  Still can't help much without more information and pics.  There are many variables when it comes to pricing.  Not trying to be difficult, just being honest.

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
Car is originally from California with smog equipment still intact.All original sheet metal with laquer paint.All matching numbers and the window sticker is the real deal.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
That probably narrows it down to around the $25-40k range.  Surprised that lacquer was used to paint the car seeing as there are much more durable products available that can achieve an original appearance.

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
The car was restored to be entered into MCA Gold judging for ocassionaly driven class.I have hopes to do so but am not quite sure what it will take to get it there and I don't want to overpay but I have seen a lot of Mustangs that the owner claims are full restorations to MCA specs but fall very short under close examination.Someone spent a lot of time and effort to make this a special car.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »
If he has MCA national show judging sheets, it would help you determine what level the car was restored to.  Multiple sheets from different shows and difference judges would be ideal.

Concerning the MCA classes, you probably are not familiar with them.  For Concours, there is simply trailered class and driven class.  MCA has Occasional and Daily Driven classes, which are only judged on workmanship, condition and cleanliness (no authenticity.)  The judging sheets for Occasional and Daily Driven are only a couple pages long while Concours for 65-66 is around 14-15 pages.

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
Having been involved with Corvettes for many years and taking some to the point of NCRS Top Flight and Bloomington Gold I would classify this Mustang as concours driven although it has never been been judged by an MCA event.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
Since the car has not been judged at a national show, I would view this as a detriment to the value, assuming a premium has been added to the car being an MCA concours level restoration.

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
Let me ask you this question.If this is a real GT with true matching numbers throughout done to a very high level of restoration do you think it is worth $35,000?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
$35k would definitely seem to be an acceptable price for such a car.  I would encourage you to have it inspected by a 3rd party, preferably someone that knows how to ID a factory GT.

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
I have checked the rear exhaust hangers where the bolt goes through the frame and felt the bracket through the alignment hole.
Also,the rear brake hose is is on the upper portion of the floor pan about halfway between the frame rail and driveshaft tunnel.The quicker ratio steering box with code HCC AX is present.The disc brake master cylinder cap clips on.The fog light wiring through the radiator support are two stamped holes.The glove box door is flat and carries the mustache at upper edges.Fog lights are secured by a stud screwed into housing.Anything else That I should look for?Also do you know of a third party in the Tampa St Pete area of Florida that I can contact?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »
The snubber plate is one of the best items to check.  On a dual exhaust car, it should be squared at the top(back) corners instead of rounded.  Here's an example pic:  http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/12_3_05/12_3_05%20007.jpg

Check with Pete Geisler at Orlando Mustang.  He might be able to take a look or know someone that can.  http://www.orlandomustang.com/

Offline bulldogg3151

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »
Thank you for the advise