Author Topic: An experiment - T9 Boeshield, paint, Black Oxide durability  (Read 4080 times)

Offline livetoride60

An experiment - T9 Boeshield, paint, Black Oxide durability
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:13:45 PM »
Did some bolts in various combinations of paint and T9 Boeshield and sat them outside for 3 months.  Just went out and dug them out of the snow a couple days ago.  Before and after pics are shown below.

I was doing this anyway for my own satisfaction, so hope it is useful to someone else.

Setup:
- bolts from a 66 donor coupe, all were fairly rusty to begin with
- All bolts were prepped by cleaning and glass beading
- Bolts with T9 were heated with a heat gun prior to T9 application, except for one as noted below
- Dark red marked bolt was heated with a torch prior to T9 application, but it discolored the bolt.
- Bolts with paint were given 2-3 light coats.
- A bare steel bolt with no protection was added as a control.
- Finishes used were:
   - Eastwood Silver Cad spray paint
   - Eastwood Zinc Phostphate spray paint
   - Eastwood Diamond Clear spray paint
   - Caswell Black Oxide solution
   - T9 Boeshield
- Bolts were put outside 12/3/14 and picked up 3/7/15
- they were kept in a pie pan with drain holes so they wouldn't be in standing water
- exposed to rain, snow, and sun, although for sun they were in the shadow of a wood fence a lot of the time.

Results:
- Paint with T9 Boeshield held up the best.  Both the Phosphate Paint + T9 and Silver Cad Paint + T9 look almost as they did the day they were set out.  No rust on either, but some discoloration.
- All others - paint alone, T9 alone, Black Ox + T9, Black Ox + Clear - had similar results.  Light rust in spots.  T9 alone was one of the best, if not the best, in this group.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but only had one rust spot.
- The Black Ox + T9 didn't do as well as the paints + T9.  This stands to reason as I understand the BlackOx alone is like gun blue...it relys on a second substance like oil for rust protection.

Observations:
- T9 does work, at least in the short term (3 months), and does provide a significant benefit when added over paint vs paint alone.  I would imagine it would last a long time in the protection of a garage.
- It's pretty obvious that more protective layers (paint + T9) work better than fewer, but it's nice to have a definitive visual of how well they hold up after a defined time period (3 months) vs something relative or non-defined, i.e. coating A is better than coating B, etc

Possibilities:
- On bolts with T9 only vs paint only, T9 might flow into crevices better than paint, thus providing more complete coverage.
- On the bolt with T9 only, it may have done better because it was heated with a torch vs a heat gun.
- It would be interesting to compare T9 with products that do the same thing, like wax, rust prevention magic, etc

I haven't gotten to the plater or setup a phosphate and oil process yet, or I would've included those.  Be nice to see.  Maybe next time.

Thanks,
Rich
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:43:17 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: An experiment - T9 Boeshield, paint, Black Oxide durability
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
Thanks for posting and taking the time to go through the experiment.  :)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
Welcome.   :)
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Wow, excellent information! 8)

I'm doing some T9 real world testing but nice to see other finishes.

Thanks!!!!!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:07 PM »
So I guess an occasional rub down with T9 is a good thing.  Thanks for posting your experiments results.  Nice to know.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »
So I guess an occasional rub down with T9 is a good thing.  Thanks for posting your experiments results.  Nice to know.  Brian
Yes ,not all good things last . A lot depends on what you expose it to but it will eventually dissipate. I have found that on a car that is occasionally driven and not in the rain maybe every 3 to 4 months to be safe . A trailer car kept in a low humidity you might go a year but I would do it sooner to be safe . I had some real magnesium wheels on my Cobra that started to oxidize within 24 hours after polishing (which took 4 hours each time) .Tried all methods .When a friend suggested T9 I tired it and the wheels stayed fresh for almost a year with out reapplying or needing to re polish. Of course it was babied but until then I couldn't get much more then a couple weeks with anything else including clear coat. That is what sold me on using it for all the other stuff. Just some of my experiences .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:33:25 AM »
Great post...thanks for sharing.  The BoeShield is a great product and been using it for years.  I have had no issues with it.  I would love to do the same experiment here in Arizona but would take 5 years to get the same amount of rain. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »
I would love to do the same experiment here in Arizona but would take 5 years to get the same amount of rain.

Yeah thanks for doing - watch some owner 100 years from now will be asking about the "fender bolts on my Mustang are colored coded on the tips, did they do that at the factory?"   LOL

Mark
P.S.  Marcus didn't you mean 50 years? 
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »
   Yeah thanks for doing - watch some owner 100 years from now will be asking about the "fender bolts on my Mustang are colored coded on the tips, did they do that at the factory?"   LOL

Yes Rich should likely want to add that to his first post in BIG BOLD LETTERS since someone will just scan the words and focus on the picture. Or it will get "borrowed" and save as a jpg, then years later that same person will find the picture and not remember the context

Can just see it now - 4 years from now being posted on VMF with a look at the detail I discovered - color coded bolts from the plant :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
Thanks Rich!  Nice work!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6