Author Topic: 65 fastback rear seatbelt mount  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Madisoneyes

• 65 Fastback Dearborn
65 fastback rear seatbelt mount
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
 I have a C code single exhaust car in which I am trying to mount rear seatbelts.   The  rear flex brake line mount seems to be where the seatbelt mount needs to go.   Does anyone have a photo example of how this is correctly done?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 fastback rear seatbelt mount
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
In the Rotunda seatbelt kits was a diagram of where to install the belts.  Since these would have been only dealer-installed in '65, it's hard to say if there was a "correct" way since there would obviously be no quality control or the like.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DKutz

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
Do a search there are lots of posts and pictures on the topic.  Also check other forums.  I found some pictures of installs and did mine last summer, pretty easy process, and I did not have any interference...
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
I've attached a picture of my '65 during it's restoration.  I've circled the mounting plates in green.  I added rear seat belts as well using the factory style mounting plates.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
In the picture posted above the anchor plates appear to have different features that factory ones you would see in 65 IMHO

Agree with Charles - there is no one "correct way" and using factory like anchors would likely not be seen as "correct" IMHO.

Should likely look like someone did the job at home in their garage ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:39:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »
I've attached a picture of my '65 during it's restoration.  I've circled the mounting plates in green.  I added rear seat belts as well using the factory style mounting plates.  Hope this helps.

Ron, while I applaud your efforts to install the anchors and have them appear "correct", I have to say that if I saw them on a '65 concours car I was judging at a national show, I would deduct points. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
I have to say that if I saw them on a '65 concours car I was judging at a national show, I would deduct points. 
I did, and the owner was upset. The head judge stepped in and the owner was still upset, ultimately left the field.
(Why is it always the big guys that judge the undercarriage, I'm 6' 1', 240lbs.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
I did, and the owner was upset. The head judge stepped in and the owner was still upset, ultimately left the field.
(Why is it always the big guys that judge the undercarriage, I'm 6' 1', 240lbs.)
Jim

curious, not that it matters to me.  But WHy would it be deducted?  because they were not available?  Or because he installed them wrong?
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
because he installed them 'like factory' and since they were not available from the factory they should not look factory installed.
5F09C331248

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
Ron, while I applaud your efforts to install the anchors and have them appear "correct", I have to say that if I saw them on a '65 concours car I was judging at a national show, I would deduct points.

Charles fair comment for my particular car which didn't come with factory installed rear seat belts.  However that's one area I wasn't trying to be concours correct but rather have them installed properly per the factory spec to actually function as safely as possible. Passenger safety trumped concours on that decision. :)   Anchor bolts and a huge flat washer weren't going cut it.

Having said that, rear seat belts were a factory option in '65 (albeit a rare option). So I would respectfully disagree with a blanket statement that any concours '65 should have a points deducted for this type of installation. I would agree that such rear seat belt installation would be suspect without documentation. However, there are cars that could have a factory style rear seat belt installation since they were indeed installed at the factory.

Regards, 

Ron
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:21:59 AM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 12:54:19 AM »
Ron, rear seat belts were only a dealer option for '65 production year.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 01:37:21 AM »
Ron, rear seat belts were only a dealer option for '65 production year.

You are completely correct my mistake - I got that mixed up with rear back-up lights.   :-[
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:40:02 AM by rocket289k »

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
Could someone have technically ordered it at the dealer with rear seat belts, if it was a special order car? Would the rear seat belts still be installed at the dealer or would the factory have done it?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »
Dealer only for 1965 rear belts on Mustangs. I think 1964 was dealer for front and rear. They used an eye bolt thru the floor to attach the ends. I had front belts in my 64 Fairlane Sports Coupe but I'm not sure if they were factory or dealer. My 60 Galaxy was dealer installed.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
Could someone have technically ordered it at the dealer with rear seat belts, if it was a special order car? Would the rear seat belts still be installed at the dealer or would the factory have done it?

Don't believe that rear seat belts would have produced a required special order - as you mentioned it would have just been left up to the dealer and they would have pocketed the extra dollars charged.  Similar to owners wanting dual exhaust - dealer would have just taken care of that (and run the car down to Midas or Sears -  had a system slapped on) and pocketed the extra charges
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)