Author Topic: 66 GT Coupe - "Clunk" when I brake.  (Read 7388 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

66 GT Coupe - "Clunk" when I brake.
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
Hi All,

I'm calling out for ideas on where to look for this annoying clunking noise that I have when braking.

The noise happens as I am applying pressure to the brakes and the car is slowing down but the funny thing is that the clunk only happens just before I stop and then there's the single clunk! the harder I brake the louder the clunk. If I brake gently enough - no clunk.

I've checked the rear drums and front KH discs and they are clean, pads have plenty of meat on them and discs/drums are smooth and do not need machining. Made sure everything was tight.

Checked tail shaft for play - seems to be ok. Actually changed it out with the one from my wife's 65. No improvement.

All bushes and bearings are new. Lower control arm bushes have been tacked as one came loose at one stage.

Any ideas at all would be great.

Possibly some of you out there have had the same/similar problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Dan.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: 66 GT Coupe - "Clunk" when I brake.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
I assume you have the trans in Drive when this is happening. Try putting it in Neutral before stopping - leave it out of gear until you come to a full stop. Let us know what happens.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
Ok I'll try that tonight. Thanks.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:29:03 AM »
Do not rule out ball joints, in particular the rivets or bolts to the control arms. If they have been rivetted in again, this could be a source. If bolts, they often are soft steel and stretch and loosen up.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »
I had that problem with Midlife, but only when I braked hard.  Midlife was a 66 GT FB.  I thought the problem was found when I tore the car down and found a A pillar hinge backing plate sliding on top of the passenger seat pan under the carpet, but the noise was still there after a complete restoration.  I took it to an excellent front-end guy for diagnosis, and he was stumped as well.  I suspect there was something inside the passenger front rail left over from a previous repair.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:32 PM »
I know you said all of the bushings are new.  Does that include the strut rod bushings?  One of those being worn out would cause the clunk you're describing.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »
Front or back?

If front and the good deep clunk check the strut rod bushings, mounting points as well as upper and lower A arm mounting points. Slop in any of these areas will allow the unit to rotate when brakes applied with a good clunk especially once it gets to metal  to metal  :o
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
Check the universal joints. They "clunk" sometimes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:10:57 AM »
I assume you have the trans in Drive when this is happening. Try putting it in Neutral before stopping - leave it out of gear until you come to a full stop. Let us know what happens.

Oh thank you so much!!!!!

It does not clunk in neutral!!!!

What does that mean now????
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:47:43 AM »

Oh thank you so much!!!!!

It does not clunk in neutral!!!!

What does that mean now????

A couple of possibilities:

1) The splines on the front yoke/tailshaft are not sufficiently greased and thus are not sliding properly. The scenario would be: as you step on the brakes, the rear axle turns from the braking torque. The leaf springs allow it to turn a bit (the opposite of hard acceleration). This pulls the driveshaft backward just a bit. As you are coming to a stop, the leaf springs start returning the axle to its normal position. The splines are binding so they resist, until they *pop* and slide forward. Putting the trans in neutral takes some of the rotational load off the splines so they don't bind as much.

2) Worn/damaged/improperly fitting splines. Same scenario.

3) Insufficient spline engagement (driveshaft or yoke too short). Splines are not enagaged enough to slide properly, causing them to "cock" a little to the side and bind. Seems less likely that this would be alleviated by braking in neutral.

4) U-joints, as Jim mentioned.

There are certainly more possibilities, including a problem inside the transmission or the transmission mounting (including the crossmember). "Clunking" is a classic symptom of a driveshaft problem so I like to start looking there. All of the other causes people listed will cause clunking, too. The trick is to find a way to eliminate some of those possibilities without spending a fortune replacing everything, and you've got a good clue with the neutral test.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:03 AM »
My money is on U joints.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline trucktricksdon

• Direction Auto & Truck Accessories
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »
I had a clunk when braking on my 65 coupe and found that the shims for the upper control arm on the right side had fallen out at some point. They probably rusted away over the years and fell out. I put 2 new shims in and tightened the nuts on the shock tower and fixed the problem. My problem however, was evindent in all braking situations, including when the trans was in neutral.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
My money is on U joints.

Hey Bob,
U joints were changed when I got the tail shaft ballanced a year ago. Seeing that I only drive the car on weekends during the drier period they are still fairly new. Did check for slop and they are snug.

Thanks for chiming in though. Love your 67.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:34:24 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »
Do not rule out ball joints, in particular the rivets or bolts to the control arms. If they have been rivetted in again, this could be a source. If bolts, they often are soft steel and stretch and loosen up.

Richard
Control arms are new until I restore the originals. Thanks.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
Front or back?

If front and the good deep clunk check the strut rod bushings, mounting points as well as upper and lower A arm mounting points. Slop in any of these areas will allow the unit to rotate when brakes applied with a good clunk especially once it gets to metal  to metal  :o
Hard to tell where the noise is coming from but if I had to take a stab I'd say from the back. Strut rod bushings are new and tight. Mount is good.  Will check control arm mounting points though.
Thanks Jeff.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag: