Author Topic: '66 dual exhaust(intermediate)hanger finish  (Read 1656 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 dual exhaust(intermediate)hanger finish
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
What was the original finish on the dual exhaust hangers that attach to the studs exiting the rear floor area...they attach directly to the mufflers...I see them available in silver zinc and black.

Offline jwc66k

Re: '66 dual exhaust(intermediate)hanger finish
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »
They were natural. I lightly phosphate and oil the ones I reuse. The factory stud plate, C1VV-5B236-C uses lead point (aka dog point) 3/8x2.0 studs. There are a couple of reproductions that use 5/16-8 standard tip studs. Avoid them. I don't know if the stud plate under the seat on the inside is coated or not. It may get a shot of sealer after installation. The studs thru the body are sealed with calk (strip calk will work).
The retaining screw, 51866-S8 (52735-S8 what I found in mine) and the nuts, 373403-S8, or 374380-S8, or 376424-S7 to the bracket are clear zinc plated.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
+1
Plate is/was bare steel (don't really see it) Then the studs are a darkened finish - I just gun blue them and oil the assembly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the detailed replies.....

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
Stripping, bead blasting and tumbling give nice results if originals are not heavily pitted.  Scott Fuller is making some really nice reproductions now, in the original appearance.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
I have the retainers finished with the correct plate and weld stud & point.

I should have new reproductions of the muffler hangers done later this summer or early fall.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline dcenicco

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »
What are your thoughts on how to strip, bead blast, etc.  considering the rubber tire in the middle? Thanks
69 RamAir CobraJet Acapulco Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »
What are your thoughts on how to strip, bead blast, etc.  considering the rubber tire in the middle? Thanks

I think your going to find (just based on appearance) that the metal is going to be very pitted and possibly eaten-ed away in areas on your examples. Take and see if you can chip away the edge on that inner bracket and if it chips off and the brackets themselves show heavy pitting I would look towards replacing them  as no cleaning or process is going to make them usable IMHO. If they can be saved your going to be looking at grime and oil cleaning, evapo rust soak, tumbling of the metal, trimming of the rubber edge and then hope they still look like what they did before all that
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)