Author Topic: Correct fuse size for Cigar Lighter/Emerg Flasher, calls for 20A will not fit  (Read 2592 times)

Offline 1965GTFB

On early San Jose '67
Factory manual shows SFE 20A fuse but it will not fit, too long.  That slot on the fuse box is marked 20A.

Interesting thing is the same manual on the facing page has the diagram for the Cougar fuse box.  It shows the box marked as 20A but in the use description, Cig./Emerg. it says 14A with an arrow pointing to that slot.

Is there such a thing as an SFE 20a fuse that is shorter.  All the ones I have are about 1.175".  Called the local NAPA and theirs all are at least that long.

Error in manual?  Should it really be a shorter 14A?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
The three letter prefix is what calls out the fuse's length. Chances are if it says it takes a 20 amp fuse, that is what goes in there, but you simply have the incorrect prefix code.

see if this helps:
http://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/fuses/automotive-aftermarket/glass-fuses/littelfuse_aftermarket_glass.pdf
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:30:33 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Use the AGX 20 fuse instead.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

Use the AGX 20 fuse instead.

CORRECT! That would be how they are listed at part stores today. I have a Littelfuse 8AG 20 in mine, the OLDER numbering system for the same fuse.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
CORRECT! That would be how they are listed at part stores today. I have a Littelfuse 8AG 20 in mine, the OLDER numbering system for the same fuse.

So 8AG would be the concours part? What brand was used originally?   ;) ::)

(FYI I'm only about 85% joking...)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

So 8AG would be the concours part? What brand was used originally?   ;) ::)

(FYI I'm only about 85% joking...)

I won't say it is absolute original equipment, but the 20 amp one I took out of my 11/66 built SJ in the CIGAR/EMERG FLASHER location was made by Littelfuse and has the 8AG 20AMP markings. I cannot recall ever changing that fuse along the way since '78. Now the DOME light fuse, that's another story. Pretty sure that one was replaced at least once.
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
I think that using a non OEM fuse in a concours restoration might be a place that you can fudge and would be easily overlooked as long as the fuse body looks similar and not (red or purple ) stick out as different other then the MFG stamping . They just now after many years let us use flash lights on occasion . Magnifing glasses will be a ways down the road I think  ;)  ;D .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

... Magnifing glasses will be a ways down the road I think  ;)  ;D .

Possible some judges ought to have them NOW and others, ought NOT to have them EVER! ...but I'm just poking the bear fun  ;D
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Possible some judges ought to have them NOW and others, ought NOT to have them EVER! ...but I'm just poking the bear fun  ;D
I would like to video the reaction at the next judges meeting when you propose that  ;D .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby