Author Topic: 69 Cougar accessory speakers  (Read 5086 times)

Offline 69eliminator

69 Cougar accessory speakers
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:37:46 AM »
Great information. This site and the people on it are such a wealth of information.

On a side note I noticed that the option sheet shows the AM/FM radio only have door speakers. My car has rear speakers with the AM/FM stereo. I've also seen at least two others with the same setup. The rear speakers are Ford as are the speaker covers so I don't think they were installed aftermarket.
Is there any reference the factory install four speakers with AM/FM stereo in late 69?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:50:35 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: 69 Cougar accessory speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
Great information. This site and the people on it are such a wealth of information.

On a side note I noticed that the option sheet shows the AM/FM radio only have door speakers. My car has rear speakers with the AM/FM stereo. I've also seen at least two others with the same setup. The rear speakers are Ford as are the speaker covers so I don't think they were installed aftermarket.
Is there any reference the factory install four speakers with AM/FM stereo in late 69?

Thanks

Where are they mounted? Can you find any part numbers on them? Can you post pics? Take a look at the wiring harness (the car's harness, not the speaker) if you can get at it, especially part number labels. So far I'm not finding any references to dual rear speakers, but I'll keep looking...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:50:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »
Where are they mounted? Can you find any part numbers on them? Can you post pics? Take a look at the wiring harness (the car's harness, not the speaker) if you can get at it, especially part number labels. So far I'm not finding any references to dual rear speakers, but I'll keep looking...

Think you'll find dual speakers as a generic offering from Ford. Use to buy them NOS for $10 a speaker (grill and wiring) at swap meets.   Can't recall fi they were a C9 or DO part number on the box. If something like this was installed it would have IMHO been a dealer thing not a factory. Remember that stereo in cars was still a fairly new thing  for the factories

Maybe we'll split this part of the discussion out to a new one.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:50:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »
Think you'll find dual speakers as a generic offering from Ford. Use to buy them NOS for $10 a speaker (grill and wiring) at swap meets.   Can't recall fi they were a C9 or DO part number on the box. If something like this was installed it would have IMHO been a dealer thing not a factory. Remember that stereo in cars was still a fairly new thing  for the factories

That's what I'm expecting him to find. The wiring will tell the tale. I'm still curious to see exactly what they are, since they're marked Ford.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:50:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
That's what I'm expecting him to find. The wiring will tell the tale. I'm still curious to see exactly what they are, since they're marked Ford.

Someone surely has a copy of one if not all of the accessory catalogs for 69.

Looked at my pictures and only have a (well the pictures are labeled that way)C5AZ and C8ZZ accessory speakers
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 06:45:58 AM »
Thunderchickens & Lincolns had a option for rear speakers, at very least a dealer add option that used a remote stereo fader. I have seen a fader that also slipped onto the tuner shaft side before too, but right now I cannot recall what carline it was on. It's not impossible for someone to have installed the seperate speaker harness into a Cougar or other 68-up Ford product that had provision in the rear package tray for the rear speakers. This method of an installation would look faily good as a "factory installed option", though more than likely dealer installed or P.O. installed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Someone surely has a copy of one if not all of the accessory catalogs for 69.

Here's the relevant pages from the 1969 L-M Accessories brochure and the 1969 Ford Accessories brochure. Neither one mentions anything other than the basic part number. The L-M brochure mentions a single speaker for "standard 8 COUGAR" - does that allow for the possibility of dual speakers for a "stereo 8 COUGAR"? Even if it did, it would still be a dealer-installed accessory, not factory.

Check out the dude playing wicked air guitar!  8)
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
There's an NOS C9ZZ speaker on ebay right now. Adding pics for reference. Not my auction.
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
From a different auction, also not mine. Won't upload all the photos, just the one that best shows the installation sheet.
Dave Z.

Offline dkborkstang

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
I owned a 1970 Eliminator for many years that had factory door and rear speakers.  It came with an am-8track stereo system from the factory.  I did the restoration work on this car and so I did have it completely apart.  The rear package tray had a series of small holes in it under the fabric covering.  This would have been done at the factory. Also, under the package tray, the metal support had cut outs for the speakers and mounting.  You could not see the speakers while inside the car as the package tray fabric covering hid them.  You could only see them when you opened the trunk.  Everything had ford part numbers on it.  There was also a fader control mounted under the dash.  It was a round knob that you turned.  On the original shipping invoice it showed combination am radio/steriophonic tape system with a price of $195.60.  Later I got a dealer add on rear speaker kit in the box.  It was similar but different.  The wiring was similar, but the rear speakers had grilles for them and you were to cut a hole in the rear package tray. 

Offline ccarney69

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 01:07:14 AM »
My 69 Cougar was built in early 69 and has the rear speakers along with the AM/FM radio option. Attached are some pics of them installed and the wire routing of the speaker wires. Notice the wires run under the carpet and rear seats and not in the rocker under the tape with the rest of the wiring. Also notice that one set of wires runs down each side of the car. I do not know if that was because of dealer install or shortest distance to speaker location. I am not sure where the speaker wires originate under the dash at this point.

Any way I saw this post and wanted to share my info. I do not know if I have ever posted here before.

1968 Cougar 8F91W549497
1969 Cougar 9F93R500330 4 speed
1969 Cougar 9F93Q566791 C6
1969 Cougar 9F91M
2007 Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible 07XL0042

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »
My 69 Cougar was built in early 69 and has the rear speakers along with the AM/FM radio option. Attached are some pics of them installed and the wire routing of the speaker wires. Notice the wires run under the carpet and rear seats and not in the rocker under the tape with the rest of the wiring. Also notice that one set of wires runs down each side of the car. I do not know if that was because of dealer install or shortest distance to speaker location.

Routing IMHO suggests a dealer or customer install

Welcome to the site :)
Jeff Speegle