Author Topic: 1971 429cj J code convertible  (Read 4259 times)

mac1971

1971 429cj J code convertible
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:08:38 PM »
Hi, First post here... If you look at the cover of the September 2015 Mustang Monthly magazine, you may recognize this car. I am the new owner, located just outside the Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada area. I have waited almost 8 weeks to have the car delivered out of the shop in Monroe WA, USA., it finally showed up this past Thursday. I have been a fan of these cars (71-73) for many years, owning Mach's (429's), convertibles etc. I sold my last 429 car back in 2010 and have wanted a replacement since then... This car is a true time capsule, 44 years and it still incorporates the majority of its original parts. Numbers matching engine, correct trans with cast iron tail shaft, tapered drive shaft, correct matching radiator, exhaust manifolds, etc. However, after 44 years, some parts are gone: The quadrajet carb, the original distributor and alternator; are the main pieces. I guess through time, these pieces were just replaced with what ever was available to keep the car running. My goal is to restore the car and I will be looking for these pieces missing also. I took it for a drive today, not too far as it is tried especially the suspension, however, the engine runs great, the trans shifts great, truly showing the grit these early cars are made of. I don't believe the drivetrain has been out of the car previously.

I have attached a couple pictures and one is very interesting (to me anyway). The convertible top window and zipper assembly, although badly worn incorporates a tiny mustang horse on the end of the zipper latch. Does anyone know if this is Ford original, it is clamped on professionally and appears to have been there for many years. In fact, this may be the original convertible top, but I am not an expert in this field, just wondering the what some on this board who are really in the know think of this? I hope to be able to converse on this board as I work through the restoration process. Cheers

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1971 429cj J code convertible
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
you can post multiple pics. just run thru the process again before you hit post.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »
I have attached a couple pictures and one is very interesting (to me anyway). The convertible top window and zipper assembly, although badly worn incorporates a tiny mustang horse on the end of the zipper latch. Does anyone know if this is Ford original, it is clamped on professionally and appears to have been there for many years. In fact, this may be the original convertible top, but I am not an expert in this field, just wondering the what some on this board who are really in the know think of this? I hope to be able to converse on this board as I work through the restoration process. Cheers

Welcome

Believe the plastic horse is just something added by a PO (previous owner)

As for the top looks like it might be but I'm not really a convertible guy (only owned a handful over the years) Much more experienced eyes will likely confirm

Again welcome - neat car. Take your time - clean carefully and take 10 times more pictures than you can find time for or stomach. Trust me :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
Read the magazine article. Congratulations, great find.  I am not a convertable expert, but pretty knowledgable on the 71-73 years.  I would also agree with Jeff that the running horse is probably not original, but a nice add-on by a shop or person over the years.  Do go to great lengths to document the orginality of the car.  Also, keep the Sport Wheel covers and don't go to Magnums as most folks do.

Two good websites that you already may be familiar with are the 429 Megasite and the 7173 Mustang forum.  Enjoy your research and bringing this rare one back to its former glory.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:56:26 AM »
An interior shot of the top lower valance separating the trunk area... Be interesting if someone knows id the top is original to the car. It has dried up severely, likely due to the hot Arizona sun when it was actually being driven back in the day. The blacked out hood area also appears to be the original factory paint. The car was painted twice previously, but both times the blacked out hood was not re-painted (as well as under the hood, the trunk lid and door jams = cheap paint jobs... You can see the original pastel blue paint coming through the factory applied black paint...
Is there a cardboard board like separator in the trunk side that separates the trunk and the convert top well liner?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 02:27:36 AM »
Back again... The attached vin plate was part of the "paper"work that came with the car. Is this what is left of the original warranty card?

The temporary one not the all plastic one that was later sent to the owner.  These on earlier Mustangs were the lower half of the door tag and stamped at the same time.  On 65-66 they were often glued to the inside of the front cover of the owners manual later glued to a cardboard/heavy paper temporary warranty car

If so, does someone re-produce these that I can re-attach this in the future? Thanks

Would check if Kevin Marti is doing them. But don't think so.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »
Would check if Kevin Marti is doing them. But don't think so.

He does them. They're on sale right now for $40 (normally $50). Didn't see an indication of how long the sale will last.

http://www.martiauto.com/itemselection.cfm?item=TAGO-70&selecteditem=yes
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.