Author Topic: 1966 C4 Torque Converter  (Read 1491 times)

Offline wcampbell

1966 C4 Torque Converter
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
I have a 1966 Auto Convertible which has begun to leak. I plan on taking the transmission out and rebuilding it soon. It got me thinking that I'd like a new or fresh torque converter to put back in when I perform the rebuild. Rather than fool with the existing converter I'd prefer to have a fresh one lined up when I pull the trans. So my question is this - 1.) Does someone out there have an original torque converter that has been rebuilt and willing to sell to me? 2.) Does someone have a used one they can sell me and then provide a shop to cut open and restore/rebuild the converter? Recommendations are welcome. In my research I haven't found a parts store who carries OEM style, but rather all of the aftermarket performance stall converters.

Wayne
wandccampbell@hotmail.com

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: 1966 C4 Torque Converter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:36 AM »
I'm at the same point you are!  A little leak + 2-3 Flare when shifting.  I joined the FordMuscle C-4 section and they convinced me that I can rebuild it myself.  I ordered the step-by-step DVD from Bad Shoe Prodictions, got me a Borg-Warner seal kit, bought me a rebuilt dead-stock torque converter from NAPA, and am getting ready to get started.  The procedure in the DVD looks SUPER SIMPLE.  If I don't have any defective parts, the rebuild should cost me less than $200.  I do plan to put a filter in the return cooler line until the 1st fluid change to avoid contaminating my new torque converter and newly refurbed tranny.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)