Author Topic: Judging and Choices Question  (Read 1358 times)

Offline denonito

Judging and Choices Question
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
Hi,
was looking for a thread on judging, to ask a question. I think I might have answer from reading this thread.
My question was on when it would be acceptable to judges to use reproduction parts on my Mustang.
I take it the answer would be that "it depends"..haha.
Which organizations judges your show but more importantly what class.
In Concours d’Elegance judging, reproduction parts will most likely be a deduction(thus the crazy prices you see for "NOS" parts)?
I watch e-bay, I was surprised to see someone pay $400.00 for the dealer installed trunk release.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-SHELBY-GT500-GT350-MUSTANG-REMOTE-TRUNK-RELEASE-289-302-390-428-BOSS-/111752558164?vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=T%252Ba74TvqZF%252Bu%252FSIXWgeWuwL0UIE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I bought the under hood light(C2RZ-) from my local dealer in 1988 and planned on buying one of those as well.....but decided I didn't want to drill any holes in the original floor pans.
Wish I would have gotten "cold feet " after I bought it and had it in my "to do" pile....
I think it was only $20 - $25 from the dealer back then...

Jeff
7R01A San Jose built, UEK1xx CA Black/Yellow

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Judging and Choices Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »
was looking for a thread on judging, to ask a question. I think I might have answer from reading this thread.
My question was on when it would be acceptable to judges to use reproduction parts on my Mustang.
I take it the answer would be that "it depends"..haha.

As you have already figured out it depends on where your showing, what class and other things. In general, most classes accept good reproduction parts

Which organizations judges your show but more importantly what class.

Its a combination of rules and class

In Concours d’Elegance judging, reproduction parts will most likely be a deduction(thus the crazy prices you see for "NOS" parts)?...............................

Not really Concours d'Elegnace is more, in my experiences, about shinny and pretty. Most do not have the judges that could determine between a reproduction (even a poor one) and an original part. Cars can get choosen just based on what kind of car the judge(s) like more,  because of the color choice or they perceived understanding of how rare the car was. Was at one show last year where a 67 GT500 was not a big winner though IMHO it was  a solid trailer concours car. Why- Judge said it was a mass produced car. ??????  Ok - so what won 1st and 2nd?   A Barracuda and a Chevelle   :o
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
Re: Judging and Choices Question
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »

Not really Concours d'Elegnace is more, in my experiences, about shinny and pretty. Most do not have the judges that could determine between a reproduction (even a poor one) and an original part. Cars can get choosen just based on what kind of car the judge(s) like more,  because of the color choice or they perceived understanding of how rare the car was. Was at one show last year where a 67 GT500 was not a big winner though IMHO it was  a solid trailer concours car. Why- Judge said it was a mass produced car. ??????  Ok - so what won 1st and 2nd?   A Barracuda and a Chevelle   :o

+1, all Concours d'Elegance events I have entered use the French judging system, since the judges are technically clueless about what is factory correct about such a wide range of cars in each class.  Typically a new, fresh restoration is what they are looking for, as Jeff says it's about glitz and glamor. 

"French Rules dictate that a team of judges (usually three) review a car for elegance and beauty and consider how it makes them feel. Physical condition and authenticity carry less weight than the grace and success of the design, although they are often used as tie breakers."
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.