Author Topic: 1967 spring shackles, leaf spring plates and hood latch catch.  (Read 2807 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 spring shackles, leaf spring plates and hood latch catch.
« on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
What are the factory finishes? Zinc, black paint, phos?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 spring shackles, leaf spring plates and hood latch catch.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
Rear shackles are bare/natural steel with the area around where the shafts were attached blued from the heat

Rear leaf spring plates are bare/natural steel- like never plate steel. Can be a bite brighter where the metal is stretched to form the plates

Examples are shown in the Natural Finish article in each (year's)  Library section of this web site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Thank you for replying. I haven't spent enough time here trying to figure out all the resources available. Thank you for responding.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
Rear shackles are bare/natural steel with the area around where the shafts were attached blued from the heat

Rear leaf spring plates are bare/natural steel- like never plate steel. Can be a bite brighter where the metal is stretched to form the plates

Examples are shown in the Natural Finish article in each (year's)  Library section of this web site
Something to add while on the subject of shackles is that the driver side is a duel exhaust special one which is 2 halves and consists of one half being the plate with one post and the other half the same . They puzzle together. This was a factory attempt to put the upper bolt in a more accessible position. Repros are available (NPD)or you can fabricate a more authentic looking one (if the other side is genuine and not repro) using parts of two shackles to make one driver side special shackle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 07:09:07 PM »
Something to add while on the subject of shackles is that the driver side is a duel exhaust special one which is 2 halves and consists of one half being the plate with one post and the other half the same . They puzzle together. This was a factory attempt to put the upper bolt in a more accessible position. Repros are available (NPD)or you can fabricate a more authentic looking one (if the other side is genuine and not repro) using parts of two shackles to make one driver side special shackle.

I believe the repro's are described as 'PAINTED"

(slightly off topic) Now on the dual exhaust shackles, is it true there was ONLY ONE shackle that was the special "L" design while the passengers side used the same as a single exhaust cars?...is this true for all early Mustangs or just Shelby specifically? (since the O.P. has a 67 Shelby, I thought I would ask)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:20:56 PM »
I believe the repro's are described as 'PAINTED"

(slightly off topic) Now on the dual exhaust shackles, is it true there was ONLY ONE shackle that was the special "L" design while the passengers side used the same as a single exhaust cars?...is this true for all early Mustangs or just Shelby specifically? (since the O.P. has a 67 Shelby, I thought I would ask)
Yes, just the driver side was specific to factory duel exhaust according to assembly manual. I have only seen them on Shelby's to confirm but of course that is where I am mainly looking. It seemed to be phased out in 68
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »
Now on the dual exhaust shackles, is it true there was ONLY ONE shackle that was the special "L" design while the passengers side used the same as a single exhaust cars?...is this true for all early Mustangs or just Shelby specifically?

Both Mustangs with factory dual exhaust  and Shelby's from the cars I've seen and owned
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
This makes sense as well, as far as the leaf spring shackles go. There is much less room on the one side of the fuel tank, which makes sense why they split the shackles as they did.