Author Topic: Changing Original Wheels  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Rossco

Changing Original Wheels
« on: December 30, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »
Hi everyone

I have a 67 Mustang f/b from SJ could I ask a question on Judging points regarding the Marti report against how I found the car in a barn 2 years ago
The Marti report states 14x5 steel wheels with wire hub caps and I found her with styled steel wheels on with her beauty rings
For judging, what is the correct stance to show the car, as I assume from information in the restoration books that the styled steels would have been a dealer option
I am trying to get her to concours condition and its sometimes difficult to make calls like this being from England

Ross
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:43:14 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Changing Original Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
Depends on the organization. If it's MCA they do not currently require that you provide how the car was originally built so many dealer installed/accessories are fine within limits (not adding a ton of them for example) as long as they didn't effect warranty, emission or safety issues. So adding styles to a car shown in Concours Trailered or Driven is a pretty common addition and will not normally cause any eyes to be raised in my experience at those shows
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:49 PM »
While the red lines are nice looking they were not original equipment on a 67 Mustang. Great looking car BTW. Dark Moss green is one of my favorite colors. My 67 GTA came with the wire hub caps and that is how I show it but I have a set of styled steel wheels and that is what I drive it on. Welcome and we are here to help.
Marty

Offline Rossco

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:56:13 AM »
Again thanks Jeff and Marty for the advise, just broke me a bit when we had the styled steels restored and looked like we then needed to spend more on the wire hub caps, she is getting there but it needs to be done correctly as the cars to concours are very few and well thought of in the UK and would a shame to get it wrong, thanks for the welcome and hope asking these questions does not take too much of your time

Ross

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:36 AM »
... she is getting there but it needs to be done correctly as the cars to concours are very few and well thought of in the UK and would a shame to get it wrong, thanks for the welcome and hope asking these questions does not take too much of your time

Ross
Ross, Do not worry about the "time" concerns. Follow your heart on your endeavor. Maybe think about a checklist to work on a few things at a time. You really don't want to overwhelm yourself.

I see several things that are a bit off from Concours on your 67. The car is truly a beauty and somebody looks to have cared a lot about it over it's lifetime. Unfortunately, remaining "concours" was not in the previous owner's heart. It pleases those of us who enjoy these cars in their "original condition" passionately, to help others with the same desire.

You are in the right place to straighten out such details. The help you at this site get is top notch. Welcome to a world of discovery and by all means, have fun with the corrections as you proceed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Rossco

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
Hi Richard

The person who had the car 2 years previously to me used her to drag race and then left her to rot for 2 years
It has been a labour of love to try and get her back to the standard she is today over the 2.5 years I have had her, but speaking to you guys and having to save up enough to get her to concours is the ambition 'The checklist' is good advise Richard appreciate all you have said, please don't be afraid to say what you see with the things you see that is a bit off from concours it all helps

Ross