Author Topic: Replace original seat upholstery?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline rindel

Replace original seat upholstery?
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:06:40 PM »
I'm looking for advise on whether I should re upholster the front driver and passenger seats on my 69 mach which still has the original untorn upholstery. The cushion underneath has bee flattened over the years and the vinyl is stiff so I would rather replace with new vinyl and cushion. 

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
Re: Replace original seat upholstery?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:11:57 PM »
Here's my opinion for it's worth.

It all depends on what your goals are for the car.  If you're building something other than a thoroughbred level car, then re-upholster if you like however remove the original seat covers with caution and either store them away or sell them.  A good original set of upholstery is hard to come by these days.  As far as I know, there only two major brands of aftermarket upholstery.  TMI and Distinctive Interiors and both have pros and cons.  I personally prefer TMI.

If on the other hand, you are building a thoroughbred level vehicle, keep the original upholstery.  The aftermarket upholstery is not an exact match in physical appearance.  You could replace the seat buns only however they are a bit too thick IMO and need to be shaved down a bit for a proper factory appearance. 

Whatever you chose, best of luck to you!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:40:41 PM »
Agree is a choice based on the car, how original and nice it is everywhere and what your plans are. Believe a fair number of us here have had panels/sections replaced or sewn edges restored over the years by a trusted upholsterer. Need to check them very carefully since what often looks unworn is on edges, seams and elsewhere. The edges of the comfortweave, once flattened can wear on the now flattened edges and start to tear or just wear through

The original stuff (depending on how you store your car) can tear and rip if your not careful and pay attention. So that is a consideration long term.

If you choose just to redo the seats completely your untorn originals may have some value to someone else building a car or fixing another original. Not worth a ton of money but might help towards getting another set redone for your car

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:13:41 PM »
Another alternative: remove the seats and store them as-is. Install a second set of seats to use while driving the car.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:49:56 PM »
Original 69/70 upholstery has various levels of condition .A thoroughbred restoration will have upholstery that looks like new. Some people get upholstery from low mileage examples or buy new old stock material from some of the antique upholstery people and substitute the panels. It is getting harder to find all of the time. the well used original will be stiff ,the fibers will be worn and sticking up etc. A older used worn set may be valuable for a survivor type car. It all depends on condition. The aftermarket alternative looks similar but doesn't breath like the genuine and is made by stamping a impression of the old pattern on a more solid piece of vinyl. a seasoned restorer can tell the difference. Not something that is usually deducted for but only in all but the strictest class's unless it is a poorly done example. the original comfort weave is always appreciated by the knowledgeable judges regardless of the class. The genuine has like a weave mesh along with the vinyl pattern so it breaths when is compressed in and out. Hopefully this will help along the way to a decision. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:17:19 AM »
What many don't realize is there are different quality levels of seat upholstery available directly from the manufacturer. I think Distinctive offers other grades but you need to contact them directly. The same may apply to TMI and others. Be aware, it's more expensive.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.