Author Topic: Power steering woes  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Brian in PA

Power steering woes
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »
Hi fellas. I'm having some trouble with my power steering. I have  a new pump on, and I rebuilt the control valve.   When the car is running the steering acts erratic. It goes back and forth real violently, and was making the belt smoke.  I checked the lines and they are installed correctly from what I see. I'm assuming the control valve that I rebuilt is bad?  Thanks.

Offline preaction

Re: Power steering woes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:48:41 PM »
From my experience there is air in the system it needs to be turned lock to lock a few times to expel the air.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »
Hi fellas. I'm having some trouble with my power steering. I have  a new pump on, and I rebuilt the control valve.   When the car is running the steering acts erratic. It goes back and forth real violently, and was making the belt smoke.  I checked the lines and they are installed correctly from what I see. I'm assuming the control valve that I rebuilt is bad?  Thanks.
I am not sure if this your problem but those exact same symptoms happen when the short lines to the slave cylinder are reversed. When the car is started the steering wheel violently turns from one extreme to the other.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I'll try both and hopefully get a remedy.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »
I am not sure if this your problem but those exact same symptoms happen when the short lines to the slave cylinder are reversed. When the car is started the steering wheel violently turns from one extreme to the other.
+1 Marty

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
 I have to agree with Bob & Marty. The steering wheel can spin so violently that you do not want an arm through the wheel when you start the car.  I know that on some Mopar's you have to move the manifold on top of the steering box to adjust steering wheel return. Not certain if any model Fords have that.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
If the hoses are found to be in the right position there is always the possibility that you have assembled the control valve incorrectly.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:32:32 PM »
Well the hoses were on wrong but now the pump sounds like gear drive/ supercharger!  The pump got so hot after only a couple minutes I couldn't touch it. I think the control valve may be messed up. I tried saving some money by doing it myself. Oh well off to chockostang it goes  8)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:13:47 AM »
If the Nut under the control valve cap is too tight it will do this same thing you are describing.  You might try backing it off some.   Just an idea from my experience. 

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
If the washer is left out, or put on the wrong side, or the nut is overtightened, It also can create a hard pull. The instructions supplied with most kits aren't accurate because the kit covers GM vehicles as well.
                                                                                                              -Keith

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
I think we all learned from experience over the years about putting the two short hoses on wrong what it does.  Everyone seems to do it at least once.  I can say for sure I will not forget the first time I ever did that.   
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »
I think we all learned from experience over the years about putting the two short hoses on wrong what it does.  Everyone seems to do it at least once.  I can say for sure I will not forget the first time I ever did that.

+1 Just took a second to realize things were wrong. Got to watch those thumbs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
I sent my setup -all parts- to Rode's restoration in Galion Ohio over 12 years ago and received all of the correct parts I didn't have and the power steering has been working flawlessly and hasn't leaked a drop, great vendor to deal with.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »
+1 on roger... he does all my work too.
5F09C331248

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »
Fellas thanks for the replies.  I'm about at my last wits with this thing. I did have the hoses wrong that corrected the violent movement. But the pump still was sounding quite loud and getting quite hot quite fast. Since Thursday I have installed a new control valve, another new pump and taken the lines off to check for obstructions. But the pump gets real hot real fast as dose the control valve. Is this normal?  It just sounds not right?  Surely having a little air in the system wouldn't do this. I cycled the wheel back and forth a few times full lock each way. I'm just about ready to yank it of and put on manual steering.  Any ideas?   Thanks.