Author Topic: Power steering woes  (Read 5482 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Power steering woes
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 08:19:40 AM »
Fellas thanks for the replies.  I'm about at my last wits with this thing. I did have the hoses wrong that corrected the violent movement. But the pump still was sounding quite loud and getting quite hot quite fast. Since Thursday I have installed a new control valve, another new pump and taken the lines off to check for obstructions. But the pump gets real hot real fast as dose the control valve. Is this normal?  It just sounds not right?  Surely having a little air in the system wouldn't do this. I cycled the wheel back and forth a few times full lock each way. I'm just about ready to yank it of and put on manual steering.  Any ideas?   Thanks.

I would now have to wonder who is rebuilding your PS units. If you understand fully how these control valve systems work, it would help. It really isn't much different than a PS box system either but to me it sounds like your pressure system isn't centering, where the pump's pressure regulator can drop back to what I'll call "stand-by" mode (for lack of better wording). The pump needs to increase volume (pressure) ONLY when assist is requested (from the control valve) but doesn't create much "drag" or resistance when assist is not requested. Translation: Your control valve is still fighting for some reason (possibly internal leaks or assembly error or cheap/shoddy rebuilt parts)

As suggested earlier, Rhodes would be your best source. If you bought them from Rhodes, you must still have something crossed in the plumbing because I highly doubt they supplied you a defective part. If you bought it from your local parts store...well, hard to say who build those for them because they usually go for the cheapest supplier.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:22:55 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
Thanks.  I got a rebuilt unit from Chockostang.  He does this stuff for a living I sure hope its OK.   :(

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »
I would contact your rebuilder first but till you reach them, you can check out some more info here: http://www.stangerssite.com/CanIControlValve.html
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Thanks.  I got a rebuilt unit from Chockostang.  He does this stuff for a living I sure hope its OK.   :(
I have faith in Chockostangs ability. What did they say when you asked them about the problem?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
Well I spoke with Dan. We have it narrowed down to a bad cylinder. I keep you posted. Thanks.