Author Topic: Boss 351 - Fender bolts  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Stillakid54

Boss 351 - Fender bolts
« on: June 26, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »
When I recently purchased my 71 boss the fender bolts were yellow cadmium. I have always thought these came with silver, yet when I went online one of the large suppliers actually lists "yellow cadmium fender bolts" for sale in their 71 parts. Also one of the reference engine bay shots on the 71 429 mega site shows a car with them. Could this in fact be correct? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:53:59 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fender bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
This would be a 71 Mustang detail also. The "yellow" or gold finish does not hold up well to the elements at times (though it can be seen on the protected surfaces once an original bolt is removed)

This thread will show you some pictures though it appears that this original example may have been "improved" at some point ;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13259.msg81245#msg81245

You will find that a fair number of bolts use the same finish in the engine compartment area (mostly to attach panels to the unibody) on Mustangs 71-73

As I understand it the gold look has been what has been expected for MCA judging at least for allot of years

A few more examples

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »
First, welcome to the forum.
A 71 Boss 351 is an awesome car. I've ridden in a couple. It seems that the biggest problem is holding the car back.
Fender bolts - they are actually gold zinc plated, along with a lot of other front end hardware. I recommend you get a set of Osborn Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car's year. All the fender items are in there. Manuals available are assembly drawings for the body, interior, electrical and a weld/sealant (how the body was welded together). Most Mustang parts stores carry them. Another good reference book is the "AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners, 1955-73" http://www.amkproducts.com/ which lists, describes and has pictures of about 95 percent of hardware used on your car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Stillakid54

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
Jeff and Jim, thanks for this. I was all set to switch them out. I am sure there will be more questions.
My first car, and it was new,  was a 71 Mustang, so I really want to see this car be right. To afford a boss back then was just a pipe dream.

Offline Stillakid54

another similar question
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »
The vacuum valves on the snorkel and ram air assemblies are a similar yellow cad colour, unlike the silver on my 71 convertible. Is this a normal variant, correct, or no. Again, thanks in advance.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: another similar question
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 07:52:37 PM »
The vacuum valves on the snorkel and ram air assemblies are a similar yellow cad colour, unlike the silver on my 71 convertible. Is this a normal variant, correct, or no. Again, thanks in advance.

More likely/possibly the yellow dye int the zinc dichromate process has faded over the years. That process is know for that and what remains has lead many to conclude that they parts plated with that finish were not dichromated over the zinc base. Mentioned allot in other threads related to this plating
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)