Author Topic: Trans Pan: options to protect the bare metal???  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Angela

Trans Pan: options to protect the bare metal???
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
After years of searching for a non-dented original C6 pan, I took advice from this forum and bought a Blue-dot "concours-correct" C6 pan for my '67.

I'm looking for advice concerning how to protect the bare steel pan. Specifically, do I:
(a) install the bare steel pan and rub oil on it monthly? (I'll forget and it'll rust)
(b) Spray it with a clear satin paint? (clear paint never seems to adhere very well to bare metal)
(c) Some other solution?

Thanks

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Trans Pan: options to protect the bare metal???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »
Boeshield T-9 rust & corrosion protector...available at your local bicycle shop usually ;) (or online)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »
Ah, thanks, I've used that stuff on my table saw. Seems to work "ok" I guess. I'd have to apply that stuff to tthe pan quite often, I would guess, to keep if from rusting. Do you use the spray aerosol version or the kind you apply with a rag?

Hmmmmm..... no one has used a clear paint? Or, if you have, had you found (as I did) that clear doesn't stick to bare metal very well?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:36:45 PM »
Ah, thanks, I've used that stuff on my table saw. Seems to work "ok" I guess. I'd have to apply that stuff to tthe pan quite often, I would guess, to keep if from rusting. Do you use the spray aerosol version or the kind you apply with a rag?

Hmmmmm..... no one has used a clear paint? Or, if you have, had you found (as I did) that clear doesn't stick to bare metal very well?

As others have indicated before about rust prevention on ANY or EVERY bare steel/metal part of the car, there are compromises that must be made. If Clear-Coated, the clear will eventually fail and it is harder restore again (in place on the vehicle) than an occasional re-spray (or wipe-down) of the T-9. (say at an oil change once or twice a year depending on your climate and exposure to moisture (humidity too and freezing temp storage)

For me, it seems T-9 would be much easier in the long run but you do have to remember to freshen it up often.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
Boeshield T-9 rust & corrosion protector...

+1 Plenty of testimonies in threads on this site

Yes has used it and in all but a few examples moisture got in and under the clear where the bolts were tightened (even though I applied clear over the bolts after they were installed), unseen  scratches during installation, moisture in the metal when cleared and other reasons. Making an invisible repair to the finish was pretty much impossible  after the fact
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:12:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:06:05 PM »

Yes I am sure a number of views have used the clear but like them I stopped using it because it would fail before long and when it did it was a lot of work to strip the parts and  many times it was not feasible to do it in place. T9 was the best compromise for me. Others may have a different view.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby