Author Topic: C-4 Troubleshooting  (Read 1623 times)

Offline rrenz

C-4 Troubleshooting
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »
Car is a 66 coupe 289 with the C-4. I have never had any issues with the transmission until this spring. It has developed a loud ticking/metal on metal tapping sound coming from under the car. Its ONLY under moderate to heavy acceleration. This past winter i did a major overhaul of the engine compartment. Mostly cosmetic with a few new mechanical parts. The only parts changed anywhere near the transmission were New exhaust manifolds and pipes. As far as the transmission goes I drained it and installed a new pan and filter since the old was bent up and leaking. The new one is now leaking as well. Job well done. I can't say for sure if i drove it before the new pan or not but it has since developed this noise in the past few months. Thinking it was the U Joints, I replaced those last month and it has not made of difference. I would like to compile a list of possible suggestions i can run through the next time i try to pin point this down. The only possible issue i can think of with the transmission at the moment is that i noticed when i last pulled the drive shaft the yoke had a bit of movement in the tailpiece. I can't say that it is extreme as it hasn't caused the seal to start leaking yet.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: C-4 Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »
Check torque converter nuts for being loose.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:03:26 PM »
I had a similar experience a few years ago.  Turned out the flex plate had cracked around two of the torque converter nuts.
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »
These C-4 trannies rarely give you any trouble and I can't think of anytime when one would act up like you describe under acceleration.  Are you sure it isn't your engine pinging?  Your timing being advanced too much will cause pinging under moderate to hard acceleration.  Pinging sounds like marbles rolling around in the engine.  If your new pan and gasket are still leaking you may have torqued down on the bolts a little too much.  I would double check your timing and fix the leak by removing and re-installing the pan.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline 6S1477

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
C4 trans have been suspectible to torque converter ballooning, causing clash between TC and pump. Last resort R&R trans and inspect.
aka; vernslie

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:33 AM »
C4 trans have been suspectible to torque converter ballooning, causing clash between TC and pump. Last resort R&R trans and inspect.

??? Never, ever heard of that one...do you have reference(s) about this?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments