Author Topic: Restoring interior - smoke grey, which SEM paint?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline CanadianFoxMustang

Restoring interior - smoke grey, which SEM paint?
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
Hi, I'm replacing the customized black interior on the 87. Originally the car had the plain LX seats and smoke grey interior (code FG). I have all the trim pieces, dash, 1/4 panels, etc... buying new carpet, rear window tray, etc... But I do need to touch up some of the plastic parts. Finding the right grey is harder than I thought without having to have the color made. From my research the smoke grey is SEM 4167 (but can't find this anywhere) from semproducts 1987 Ford color chart. Also heard "Thomas Bus Grey" 15413. Then I hear Ladera 15713 works (but I think it looks more like Titanium grey to me). I also hear Medium Slate Grey 15873 works... Looking at the online color chart, I think something in between Presidio and Warm grey would work... (sorry)

Now for the darker (black?) portions of the dash. I don't remember this ever being pure black, it always seems like a real dark grey-blue to me. The 87 pieces I have may be sun faded a bit but if I look closely at parts that never really had sun on them, it never looks black to me. Any ideas to find the right plastic paint to match factory? I don't want to get custom colors made but if I don't have a choice? So far looks like SEM granite 15053 is close. Or even Landau black 15013.

I'll try and get a color chart chips to see for real but if anyone has done this, please let me know which paints you used.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:59:23 AM by CanadianFoxMustang »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Restoring interior - smoke grey, which SEM paint?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
I recommend not trying to find a paint can that is close but not right.  An automotive paint shop can match the correct original color and possibly put it in a spray can for you.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:48 AM »
An automotive paint shop can match the correct original color and possibly put it in a spray can for you.

That's what I had done when I was restoring my '87 GT (smoke grey interior also).  The only difference was we had them mix it for a paint gun.  Some of those interior plastics, especially on a hatchback, are going to be very tough to get good even coverage on with a spray can.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CanadianFoxMustang

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »
thanks, yeah I can use a spray gun. Probably be cheaper too, even if mine is a coupe with smaller rear 1/4 plastic pieces.