Author Topic: Pre-installation 6-Cylinder Engine Start  (Read 2198 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Pre-installation 6-Cylinder Engine Start
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
I'd like to start my '65 6-Cylinder while it's still out of the car. Electrically, I know how to start it but am concerned about the Torque Converter and the C4's condition once the engine starts. Any tips on preventing Transmission Fluid loss during this time or is there a way to start the engine without the Torque Converter and Transmission?

Thanks
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pre-installation 6-Cylinder Engine Start
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
I'd like to start my '65 6-Cylinder while it's still out of the car. Electrically, I know how to start it but am concerned about the Torque Converter and the C4's condition once the engine starts. Any tips on preventing Transmission Fluid loss during this time or is there a way to start the engine without the Torque Converter and Transmission?

Thanks

Are you starting this on an engine stand/engine test rack? If so you should be able to configure the mounts to use the bellhousing from a 6 cylinder to hold the rear of the engine in place and correctly position and operate the starter for the break- in and testing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 04:29:04 AM »
Are you starting this on an engine stand/engine test rack? If so you should be able to configure the mounts to use the bellhousing from a 6 cylinder to hold the rear of the engine in place and correctly position and operate the starter for the break- in and testing

Yes, I plan to build a cradle for the engine and know that I'll need the bell housing for mounting the starter but since the teeth are on the torque converter for 6-cylinder models, can it be started with just the flex plate and torque converter? Will the converters internals survive without the transmission in place or do I need to get a hold of a manual transmission flywheel for starting it? If the latter, will the C4 bell housing still work?

Thanks...Ray.
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:59:42 AM »
Yes, I plan to build a cradle for the engine and know that I'll need the bell housing for mounting the starter but since the teeth are on the torque converter for 6-cylinder models, can it be started with just the flex plate and torque converter? Will the converters internals survive without the transmission in place or do I need to get a hold of a manual transmission flywheel for starting it? If the latter, will the C4 bell housing still work?

Thanks...Ray.

It will not hurt your torque converter.

I might use a resistor in your coil feed wire too.

You could also start your engine with the transmission in place (IN PARK) by making a loop of the cooler lines. The tranmission could have several quarts of fluid put into it also as long as you have a yoke (safely wired) in the back of it but i probably wouldn't try topping it off like this (read as leave it two or three quarts low from a "capacity fill") since you would not moving and shifting a car, you are only assuring there is enough transmission fluid inside to lubricate things internally, probably a good idea if you intend to have an extended run of the engine with a radiator in place. (read as more than a few minutes). If you plan to run the engine for less than a few minutes, I would likely skip adding fluid sinse the assembly lube will be OK for only a few minute run. C4 transmissions are rather bulletproof like this.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:04:25 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »

Most commercially built engine run-in frames are set up  for just the engine. Saves space and time I guess.

Not sure of any benefit of including the torque converter in the operation. Just one more thing to attach to the flex plate and later remove to install on the trans before its attached. Using the bell housing for the rear mount to secure the engine to the stand means that you can run the engine with or without a clutch and pressure plate or torque converter depending on the application from all the ones I've seen and operated

Would also run a resistor, set up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, water temp. Figure out what your going to attach to the exhaust manifold and how you will hold the fuel safety while feeding the pump or carburetor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:02:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
It will not hurt your torque converter.

I might use a resistor in your coil feed wire too.

You could also start your engine with the transmission in place (IN PARK) by making a loop of the cooler lines. The transmission could have several quarts of fluid put into it also as long as you have a yoke (safely wired) in the back of it but i probably wouldn't try topping it off like this (read as leave it two or three quarts low from a "capacity fill") since you would not moving and shifting a car, you are only assuring there is enough transmission fluid inside to lubricate things internally, probably a good idea if you intend to have an extended run of the engine with a radiator in place. (read as more than a few minutes). If you plan to run the engine for less than a few minutes, I would likely skip adding fluid since the assembly lube will be OK for only a few minute run. C4 transmissions are rather bulletproof like this.

Didn't think about the resistor, thanks for the reminder.

The C4 is still in pieces, which is why I was wondering about running the engine with the converter only, (and its attaching flex plate). I will be connecting a radiator and already have an oil pressure and water temperature gauge attached. The fuel source will be high enough to flood the fuel pump but remain below the carburetor level.

I still have to wait for the weather to cool a bit though...hot in Texas right now. Maybe by then, I'll have the transmission back together and either way, I still need to get an exhaust system for it.

Thanks for the help...Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
Not sure of any benefit of including the torque converter in the operation.

The flex plate has no teeth, they're all on the converter, so to start the engine I have no choice unless a manual transmission flywheel will work.

Thanks...Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
Est. Build 23A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
Didn't think about the resistor, thanks for the reminder.

The C4 is still in pieces, which is why I was wondering about running the engine with the converter only, (and its attaching flex plate). I will be connecting a radiator and already have an oil pressure and water temperature gauge attached. The fuel source will be high enough to flood the fuel pump but remain below the carburetor level.

I still have to wait for the weather to cool a bit though...hot in Texas right now. Maybe by then, I'll have the transmission back together and either way, I still need to get an exhaust system for it.

Thanks for the help...Ray

I'd use the bellhousing too then, I suppose if it already off the trans? If not, just pull the bolts and tap it off with a rubber mallet, it'll come off easily ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
The flex plate has no teeth, they're all on the converter, so to start the engine I have no choice unless a manual transmission flywheel will work.

Thanks...Ray

Sorry - shows how many 6 cylinders I've taken apart or owned.  Thanks  ::)
Jeff Speegle