Author Topic: Replacement of fuse holders in fuse block  (Read 1311 times)

Offline ruppstang

Replacement of fuse holders in fuse block
« on: November 24, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
I have a 68 project that has rusty fuse holders and do not make good contact.
How difficult is it to replace them? Is it possible to do it in the car?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Replacement of fuse holders in fuse block
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:03 PM »
The reproduction fuse clips have metal that is far more brittle than OEM; crimping them with a professional crimping tool often causes the crimping tabs to break.  One can try to solder the wires onto the fuse clips, but you'll need a fair amount of heat. 

To remove the clips, one has to put two small screwdrivers into the locking tab slots and push very hard on the fuse clip base.  I just don't see this happening in the car itself.  It is hard enough to do on the workbench, particularly the ACC and BATTERY clips, which contain two separate fuse clip sets.

Your best bet is to remove the harness, soak the fuse box in EvapoRust or bead-blast the clips, apply compressed air, then contact cleaner, and lastly applying Boeshield.  I've had excellent success with bead-blasting and Boeshield.  Occasionally, I have to tighten up the If the clips are too far corroded, I can provide good OEM clips with wire pigtails, so you'd have to splice the wires. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »
I replaced mine. They were soldered and did fantastically. However be sure to tin them well before you make the connection and take pictures with your cell before removing them. There is a trick to remove them from the phenolic block. Randy or I can explain if need be.

-Keith

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the help guys I give it a try.
Marty