Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

Cougar - May 7 69 Build. Need help, messed up...

(1/3) > >>

69428SCJ:
Friends, I am in need of some help interpreting what I have. I made the rookie mistake of not documenting ENOUGH of my disassembly and cleaning/degreasing prior to being media blasted, and have many questions about what I have taken pictures of. Please visit the website I made for the car, www.my69cougareliminator.com to see all the pictures I've taken, and to find out more of the significance my car has to me and my family. This thread might get a little long in the tooth, so I apologize in advance. Also, I have bookmarked about 50 different threads, answering most of my questions, but I still have a few. Here they are:

Has anyone seen this mark before in a similar location or what it would symbolize?

Or this one?

Of all the cowl photos I've seen, I've never seen another one look like mine in this spot. Now, it looks to me like when they painted the car, they didn't extend the body color past the pinch weld here. Could there be another explanation?

Here's another, wider shot but poorer quality picture. Also, notice the amount of sound deadener coverage. Has anyone else seen that amount on the wheel well?

Here's what the shade of slop gray looks like on my car. It seems to me the factory worker spread the sound deadener in more places than might be considered standard? Also, notice the piece of welding wire that has managed to hang on for all these years.

Again with the sound deadener, was this amount of coverage normal going all the way up the floor pan back this far?

Here's what was left of my buck tag. Was the tag attached after primer but before black paint, or was it bare metal attachment?

I did the worst thing to my axle, took it straight to the blaster without so much as thinking about markings. Sadly the N-case was swapped out at some point so I will need a new one. But I do remember what I thought to be a mark at the 5 o'clock position. Two questions with this, 1) is the shade/sheen of the axle the same as the engine bay, and 2) has anyone seen a mark similar to the one that I believe is at the 5 o'clock on the axle?

Sadly I had to junk this part, but it's dated perhaps earlier than one might see. Two questions here, 1) what is the general rule of thumb when it comes to date coding? Specifically, how old is too old when it comes to date coding? and 2) where can I find this part, it's the axle brake hose. I have searched and searched for this part number, but cannot find much about it?

Those are all the questions I have for the moment, I will post more pictures after your responses to these questions. Thanks for all your help!!!

Mike_B_SVT:
Your sound deadener looks pretty comparable to mine (even though mine is an Oct '69 built '70).  Front wheel well areas are nice and thick and thorough, like yours.
My floors are ... odd.  Nice thick coverage on the passenger side, almost no coverage / very thin on the driver's side, LOL!

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---................... I have bookmarked about 50 different threads, answering most of my questions, but I still have a few. Here they are:

Has anyone seen this mark before in a similar location or what it would symbolize?
--- End quote ---

Picture is very large and can't tell where the mark is. Is it on a frame rail? if so no haven't seen one there

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Or this one?
--- End quote ---

Little blue line on top of the radiator support? Looks like a drip from someone painting something (after the factory) - touchup

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Of all the cowl photos I've seen, I've never seen another one look like mine in this spot. Now, it looks to me like when they painted the car, they didn't extend the body color past the pinch weld here. Could there be another explanation?

--- End quote ---

Think your comparing two surfaces - one that only shows paint and was protected from the wheel well application of the heavy and fairly complete sound deadener and one that got a heavy coat of sound deadener. The splash shield protected the painted surface from the later spraying. Yes there is a little (what appears to be redo oxide up in that corner pocket the thin overlaying paint coat may have worn away but I would have to clean all the sound deadener from that edge to the shock tower, trying not to remove any underlying body color to determiner is and what is there. IMHO really don't have the facts visible in this example

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Here's another, wider shot but poorer quality picture. Also, notice the amount of sound deadener coverage. Has anyone else seen that amount on the wheel well?

--- End quote ---

Guessing this is a Dearborn car??  Cougars often seem to have gotten an extra 30 seconds with the wand and are often more generous with the sound deadener in the front wheel wells from my experience

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Here's what the shade of slop gray looks like on my car. It seems to me the factory worker spread the sound deadener in more places than might be considered standard? Also, notice the piece of welding wire that has managed to hang on for all these years.

Again with the sound deadener, was this amount of coverage normal going all the way up the floor pan back this far?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Here's what was left of my buck tag. Was the tag attached after primer but before black paint, or was it bare metal attachment?
--- End quote ---

The primer relationship makes little difference since they didn't apply primer in that area. It was installed before the black was applied so the radiator support behind the buck tag should be bare or show a color marking on some cars that indicated the type of car being built

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Two questions with this, 1) is the shade/sheen of the axle the same as the engine bay, and
--- End quote ---

No

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---2) has anyone seen a mark similar to the one that I believe is at the 5 o'clock on the axle?
--- End quote ---

Are you referring to the "stripe" on the housing?  Is that paint or simply a drag mark through the age and crud. If its paint and you can remove it with paint stripper and show the black under it no I've not seen that before. Typically (there is another recent thread in the 71-3 section) there was large white, yellow or orange, coding that is found in that general area of the housing

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 05, 2016, 12:20:13 AM ---Sadly I had to junk this part, but it's dated perhaps earlier than one might see. Two questions here, 1) what is the general rule of thumb when it comes to date coding? Specifically, how old is too old when it comes to date coding? and 2) where can I find this part, it's the axle brake hose. I have searched and searched for this part number, but cannot find much about it?

--- End quote ---

Think your confusing part numbers (number in books, documents and on the packaging) with engineering numbers (those applied to the part itself.

The date gap depends on the plant and part typically and IMHO can not be addressed with a blanket (for example everything 60 to 45 days) statement. Must be looked at as individual parts put on cars built at the same plant. Think my 69 Dearborn built Boss thread has some pictures of the same pieces and it was a April 24th built car so you can compare yours with those.

69428SCJ:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---Picture is very large and can't tell where the mark is. Is it on a frame rail? if so no haven't seen one there
--- End quote ---

Yes, the orangeish mark on the frame rail. My apologies for the large pictures, usually they resize but I guess not in this case

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---Little blue line on top of the radiator support? Looks like a drip from someone painting something (after the factory) - touchup
--- End quote ---

Yes, the blue line. That had never occurred to me, but since I haven't seen any blue in any of the reference photos on the site, I can see that.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---Think your comparing two surfaces - one that only shows paint and was protected from the wheel well application of the heavy and fairly complete sound deadener and one that got a heavy coat of sound deadener. The splash shield protected the painted surface from the later spraying. Yes there is a little (what appears to be redo oxide up in that corner pocket the thin overlaying paint coat may have worn away but I would have to clean all the sound deadener from that edge to the shock tower, trying not to remove any underlying body color to determiner is and what is there. IMHO really don't have the facts visible in this example
--- End quote ---

Seeing the slight appearance of red oxide is what confused me. Based off what I've read here, and the paint application pattern on the cowl, I thought this section where all three panels meet wouldn't be showing any primer. Sadly I had the car blasted before I did any further investigating, hence the subject of this thread.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---Guessing this is a Dearborn car??  Cougars often seem to have gotten an extra 30 seconds with the wand and are often more generous with the sound deadener in the front wheel wells from my experience
--- End quote ---

Yes, Dearborn car. That was what also confused me, as I understood it, there should have been some visible color in this section, instead of a complete covering of the sound deadener. Thank you for clearing that up.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---The primer relationship makes little difference since they didn't apply primer in that area. It was installed before the black was applied so the radiator support behind the buck tag should be bare or show a color marking on some cars that indicated the type of car being built
--- End quote ---

Okay, I thought I had read in one of the paint sequence/coverage threads I had that the engine bay received red oxide primer prior to the black paint being applied.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---No
--- End quote ---

Pretty simple. Is there a recommended spray gun formula, or is *gasp* the rattle can suitable?

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---Are you referring to the "stripe" on the housing?  Is that paint or simply a drag mark through the age and crud. If its paint and you can remove it with paint stripper and show the black under it no I've not seen that before. Typically (there is another recent thread in the 71-3 section) there was large white, yellow or orange, coding that is found in that general area of the housing
--- End quote ---

Yes, I was referring to the stripe on the housing. I didn't think that was a factory marking, but thought I would confirm.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---Think your confusing part numbers (number in books, documents and on the packaging) with engineering numbers (those applied to the part itself.
--- End quote ---

It is possible I'm confusing engineering and part numbers, I am admittedly ignorant on the differences between those numbers. Thank you for that tidbit of information.

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM ---The date gap depends on the plant and part typically and IMHO can not be addressed with a blanket (for example everything 60 to 45 days) statement. Must be looked at as individual parts put on cars built at the same plant. Think my 69 Dearborn built Boss thread has some pictures of the same pieces and it was a April 24th built car so you can compare yours with those.

--- End quote ---

I will do that, thank you for all the input!

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 69428SCJ on December 09, 2016, 12:57:00 AM ---Okay, I thought I had read in one of the paint sequence/coverage threads I had that the engine bay received red oxide primer prior to the black paint being applied.

Pretty simple. Is there a recommended spray gun formula, or is *gasp* the rattle can suitable?
--- End quote ---

It was applied I think more of an extension (that year and plant) of the red oxide application to the unibody - mainly radiation support rear surface rearward. We see allot of bare steel when the black was not applied in a good coat on the face of the radiator support, sides of hood bumper supports and so on. Appears that it just faded away (no masking) or that is where they started flowing paint.

So if it is visible on the finished car I yet to find a red oxide primer in a can that isn't flat . Looking for something that has a smooth and slightly glossy finished look. Yes you can start with Ditzler/PPG epoxy primer sealer DP74LF and tint from there to find a match.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version