Author Topic: 64-70 paint markings  (Read 1492 times)

Offline That69mach1

64-70 paint markings
« on: December 31, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and I joined in hopes of finding someone information or books on factory correct paint markings for anything from the engine to rear end. Does anyone know of any books? Or do I have to just piece it all together myself online? Thank you all.

Offline 67gta289

Re: 64-70 paint markings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

The short answers to your questions are no to the first and yes to the second.

Not only is there no book on 64-70, there is no book on just 69, and furthermore no book on 69's built at a specific assembly plant.

On the bright side, there is a wealth of information on this site, and for questions that have not yet been resolved, there are awesome people to help.

I recommend starting with multiple searches on this forum.  For this use key words such as "daub", "marking", and "stripe".  Include "69" as well assuming that your profile name is representative of what you are working on.

I just did a test run of searching "69 daub" and there is a lot of material to go over.

I recommend creating a document and putting your findings in one place, with hyperlinks to the pertinent posting(s).

If you can't find something specific, or have questions about conflicting information, post specific questions for comment.

Good luck!
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »
Greetings and welcome to the forum. As John stated, the search feature of this forum should give you most of what you asked about. Jeff, one of the moderators, has a large collection of photographs of ID markings used on Mustangs. You will find them via the search as well. Two things to consider, the guy putting on the paint was doing a monotonous task and was not very neat, in other words - sloppy. The other concern is age. These cars are approaching 50 (all three of mine are "over the hill" age wise) so the pictures show position best, the paint itself can be faded badly. My advice is to "lurk" for a while, read the posts and get the feel of the nature of this forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it useful

One challenge with marks is that you need to find sources that match exactly you cars assembly plant, options assembly date and all options for many of them and even then many marks will be different so its suggest that you don't copy from other cars except of those that were typical or normal for most cars.

Also before you worry about paint be certain that every other detail is 100% or as close as possible since paint marks will only work to highlight your cars short comings and will look odd that you spent you time placing paint marks on incorrect parts ;)

Your car before restoration is your best and more accurate source for what was originally applied second would be your cars buildsheets

I hesitate to show allot of paint marks on the site since we've found that others will just copy them and apply them to just about any car with no concern to matching any of the details mentioned above even not reading the accompanying captions posted with the pictures. So rather than tempt those owners or builders I have chosen to limited the temptation by doing my part

Yes there is at least one book or brochure that was printed many years ago that I can not recommend and when I meet owners who ask questions related to its information I suggest that they toss it since it will produce more questions and issues that its worth IMHO

I should be posting a new article for the site in the next week for proofing on Paint Marks. Not focused on what are the correct marks for the thousands of different combinations but more of a help as to what their purpose was, colors used, places to find them and more
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:55:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)