Author Topic: 1968 Ford Mustang original car  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Norcal87

1968 Ford Mustang original car
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
1968 Ford Mustang I been told it's been unrestored.
Nice car fun to drive like to take it to shows to try to win original car class need
 Need the experts help to look at my pics

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1968 Ford Mustang original car
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:34:12 AM »
Nice find! Thanks for sharing pictures. I am sure you will discover many things that your previous owner has done for maintenance could probably be done over to better represent the era your car was build in. Radiator, heater hoses, trunk clean-up battery hold down and several other details at glance. The trouble could be in deciding whether or not to build the car as "unrestored" or restoring it. Your choice but too often when restoring a car, people go overboard. I suppose it is all a personal choice what direction you go in but at least I would offer one bit of advice in anything you replace...that is if it is ORIGINAL to the car, KEEP IT. (Even if you replace it with another similar original part) Date codes are the most difficult thing to get corrected on items once they have been tossed out and one day a future owner of your car may wish he had the pile of "junk" you through out if you chose to replace things to freshen things up easier. I have read it somewhere, "It is only original ONCE".

I see a battery heat shield. Nice! If or when you pull the battery, perhaps share some closer images of that item. We rarely see originals these days, more often these were tossed long before the late 70's.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »
Thank you Richard I think Iam gonna keep just how it is it has so much patina that's what I love about it
I hope to try to win couple small local shows with original. I did order my Marti report just waiting for it. One thing I found out is the car was a very early 68 which would explain the hood?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
See you found a travelers card/sheet (the piece of paper)  that shows that rotation number we talked about in the other thread and that an inspector failed the car (correction needed) on the glove box fit.

Some one Zonotoned the trunk :( at some point over everything it seems Moved the jack to where it would rattle around after they threw away the cardboard panel that should be under the mat but over that hole

Interesting - never would have expected to see a battery shield on this type of car

Master cylinder has been replaced. Love the duct tape over the throttle seal. Easy to get another and fix that

Has an very early style paint inspection stamp on the cowl I see. If you do a search you should find a number of other threads that show places to look for other ones that may still remain. Be very careful with these - even a slight wiping can remove them 

Thanks for sharing

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
Thank you Jeff i hope to try to win some local small shows for original

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
Jeff:  Does that stuff come off in the trunk?  I guess it would probably take off the paint underneath it too.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »
Is that why it's bare metal?.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
The gray pattern appears to be sprayed over the original paint in the trunk, which would have been white like the exterior.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
Oh ok. I know the car does have undercoating under the car

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »
I think you may have missed the "jist" of what some are saying in regard to the trunk area needing help. This would have nothing to do with the undercoating (underside of vehicle) which has not been pictured so we would have no clue what is there. Somebody speckle-painted the inside area of the trunk and THIS is not original to your car. The insides of your quarter panels and the floor of the trunk (under a mat) would all be painted body color, so in your example, it would be white. (Not grey). As far as showing at local car shows, I would consider leaving the trunk "closed".

A few other members have VERY ORIGINAL 68's built in San Jose and Jeff has shared many images of original examples in other threads. Maybe consider a search of the forum to get an idea of what would typically be found for such details we have mentioned.

It will always be your choice at what items to consider working over or working on but trunk areas and under hood details are sometimes the easiest to "Tidy Up" (as long as you do it as was original, you do little to no harm in doing so)

Some one Zonotoned the trunk :( at some point over everything ...

The gray pattern appears to be sprayed over the original paint in the trunk, which would have been white like the exterior.

Oh ok. I know the car does have undercoating under the car

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:03:24 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
Thank you Richard. No I knew what he ment. I just wanted to to say about the under the car being undercoated because I forgot to mention that in my thread. I'll take some more pics today. Any areas you recommend ?

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »
More pictures

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Jeff:  Does that stuff come off in the trunk?  I guess it would probably take off the paint underneath it too.

Depends - Think it depends on what product (original brand, rattle can, or a copy of that product)  Doesn't look like they prepped so just shot over the factory stuff so some areas will have likely already chipped or pulled off. The stuff, especially the rattle can stuff really doesn't hold up well and needs IMHO a clear coat over it to help the longevity

That's what I choose to do on my 71

Maybe a rubber/plastic putty knife would be good for a test though surely there we'll be areas where is on for good

More pictures

Odd to see the dealer or aftermarket undercoating. Can see that someone has been under the front with a black rattle can at some point but original from primer sealer is still visible in those hidden areas and pockets
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:20:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
Yea should be interesting to see what the marti report says. I went driving yesterday and I had like 9 different cars yell nice car

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »
Here is some more pictures