Author Topic: side mouldings  (Read 4293 times)

Offline djburton

side mouldings
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
93 LX....Orig stick on side mouldings were in tough shape so I ordered some repros. They were halfway decent pieces but just like the original,they like to come unstuck on the ends.I tried heating them up with a heat lamp as much as I dared and devised a clamping method to hold them in place but after a couple weeks they were unstuck again. The peel and stick was not adequate and these mouldings are made flat and don't want to conform to the curve of the body.OEM pieces aren't any better IMO. If I could do it over,I would have removed the sticky from them and used some more aggressive stuff but that ship has sailed.
Does anyone have any tips on a type of adhesive I could use without messing everything up?
Thanks!

Offline jwc66k

Re: side mouldings
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
Many years back on a 2006 Kia, I used 3M8008 weather strip adhesive for a similar problem. I know, different car, probably different original attaching methods, but if you're think gluing is an option try the 3M stuff.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline djburton

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
Thanks Jim! My only other option is to try to remove the mouldings,taking a chance that I will ruin them or the new paint or both as most of the mouldings are stuck pretty good.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
If you have to remove them, use a piano wire to saw them off.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »
If you have to remove them, use a piano wire to saw them off.
Ouch!  Piano wire may be metal, and you really don't want to do that.  A plastic guitar string might be better, or try dental floss.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline hopeto

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »
fishing line
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline djburton

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
fishing line

There you go! I have some 50 lb test Fireline,small diameter,wicked stuff. If you're hung up on a snag and try to grab it to break it off...cut your hand off.It's nice and smooth so it shouldn't damage the paint. I'm going to wait till it warms up and the sun hits the car. I'll keep you posted.

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »
fishing line

I second that.  I have heard good things using this.
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline djburton

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:16:38 PM »
Update...Finally got the courage to give the fishing line deal a shot. Berkley Fire Line,dropped to 30 lb test from 50,made a couple of 4 inch handles out of 1/2 cpcv,tied 3 ft of line between the two handles,cut that moulding off like a cheese cutter. No damage to the paint or moulding. Left very little residue on the body itself and I could kind of roll the peel and stick off the mouldings with a small nylon scraper,3M adhesive remover for final cleanup. Used 3M 7/8 inch wide moulding tape and the mouldings are now on for good.
If anyone is inclined to buy repro moldings,I would suggest painting them(if needed) first and letting them cure for a few days and then remove their adhesive and use the 3M stuff.Reason for after painting is the paint likes to creep under the peel which might harm the sticky. Plus,the tape will be nice and fresh when applied to the car.