Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Brake drag/slow pedal return

(1/2) > >>

68NordicCat:
12/67 SJ built 68 Cougar - power front disc rear drum brakes. Rebuilt booster, reconditioned original distribution block, repro proportioning valve (which I hear now might not be much count). Have bled the system, but brake pedal still feels squishy from time to time. Bigger problem is very slow pedal return. From what I've read the most likely culprit is the booster, but I've also heard it could be the proportioning valve. I now have a rebuilt original block and valve assembly which I could change out (easier than the booster). Question - is there a way to diagnose the specific problem without just continuing to purchase and swap out parts (or resorting to a bungee cord :P)? Thanks.

Dan

Murf:
Typically the booster is the cause of a slow return.  Many times it is caused by the rear seal of the master cylinder leaking brake fluid into the booster and swelling a certain part.  In some cases the brakes will not release until you hook your toe under the pedal and force it to return to the "off" position. 

preaction:
Dan, don't hesitate to give WCCC a call they work on issues like this every day and are happy to help.

rockhouse66:
How old are the brake hoses?  These have been known to look great on the outside but swollen on the inside, acting like a one-way valve.  This will cause drag and slow release or even complete lock up in some cases.

68NordicCat:
Hoses are all new. Replaced the booster which seemed to correct the pedal return issue.

Now searching posts to troubleshoot a new problem - can't lock it up. I have brakes but not enough for an emergency stop. Seems like I get a good start when applying firm pressure but then feels like it releases and won't increase braking much even standing on the pedal. It's front disc rear drum, have fully bled the system, rebuilt calipers, new rotors, new drums, new pads, new cylinders, new lines, new hoses, new booster, new master, rebuilt block, repop proportioning valve. Scratching my head.

Any ideas appreciated.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version