Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Dash lights coming on when pressing brake pedal

(1/5) > >>

Chris:
My 15 amp fuse has been frequently blowing lately and I was unsure why. Now I'm seeing my dash lights come on everytime I press in the brake pedal. It looks like a short somewhere. Has anyone seen this before?

Chris

midlife:
What year?  This sounds more like a grounding problem (for dash lamps lighting).  Which 15 amp fuse is blowing?  Describe its position in the fuse box.

Chris:
This is my June 64 1/2 convertible, 260. The 15 amp fuse blowing is in the lower right fuse slot in the 64 1/2 style fuse holder, owner booklet shows this as 15A AUX.

midlife:
That's the fuse power line for the brake pedal switch, which routes through the headlight switch, IIRC.  You might have a bad headlight switch, or a pinched wire somewhere.  Try removing the lines from the brake master cylinder/switch in the engine compartment and see if that keeps the fuse from blowing.

Chris:
I checked for loose wires and did not find any, car was blowing the 15 amp fuse about every 4 minutes of run time (and when the headlight switch is on). I removed the wires from the brake master cylinder switch under the hood, drove the car for about 30 min and the fuse did not blow, brake lights and dash lights stayed on.

Not sure what this means though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version