Author Topic: Flexplate-Torque Converter Alignment - A Helpful Reminder  (Read 891 times)

Offline Tiny

Flexplate-Torque Converter Alignment - A Helpful Reminder
« on: April 05, 2018, 12:58:55 AM »
Hi all, as someone who asks a lot of questions on this forum I thought I would give something back in return and share an issue I had recently so you dont make same mistake I did.  I removed the C4 transmission for an overhaul and then re-installed it.  All of the studs lined up as did the drain plug on the torque converter against the Flexplate.  Tightened all of the nuts and then turned the engine over by hand.  As the engine turned I heard a large metal scraping sound and upon inspection noticed the counter weight was hitting the starter motor. (Not Good)  After a short while I remembered that the torque converter has 2 drain plugs and upon inspection realised that the second drain plug had not been lined up with the hole in the flex plate but was positioned directly behind the counter weight, thus distorting the flexplate slightly.

The fix wasn't to onerous as i undid the C4 bolts to the end of their thread, pulled the C4 back just far enough to spin the Torque to align the 2 drain plugs and then re-tighten.  No damage done and runs fine.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:14:24 AM by J_Speegle »
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline ruppstang

Re: Flexplate-Torque Converter Alignment - A Helpful Reminder
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
I have seen this before but the engine was started and the flex plate was ruined as was the starter. Good to know!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Flexplate-Torque Converter Alignment - A Helpful Reminder
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:47:47 PM »
Thanks -  Done this a few times (slow learner)  Always check the the toque converter will rock back and forth before it settles in place and you tighten all the nuts down
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)