Author Topic: 1969 FMX expert needed  (Read 1891 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

1969 FMX expert needed
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »
Finishing up my 69 Cyclone with a 351w/FMX and have a very weird problem with the trans. I have park and a forward gear in all other positions of the gear select lever. This trans has been 100% taken apart and put back together. I have not driven in or run it long because I don't want to burn off the paint on the manifolds. What could I have done wrong? Not the first trans I have touched but it is the most extensive rebuild I have done

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 1969 FMX expert needed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
1st and reverse are the same band and servo combination. Do you know if it is going into 1st? Did the trans shift lever engage the main shift valve correctly? In the photo, on the lower right of the shift shaft you can see where the detent presses a spring loaded pin to set the shift locations. In the photo on the upper side of the shift shaft the round pin needs to engage the main shift valve. If all this is correct I would guess the low/reverse servo and/or band might not be adjusted correctly.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:27:41 PM »
I think it is first gear, great photo. Gives me something to look at. I was guessing I probably have something not right.
Thanks

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
...Did the trans shift lever engage the main shift valve correctly? In the photo, on the lower right of the shift shaft you can see where the detent presses a spring loaded pin to set the shift locations. In the photo on the upper side of the shift shaft the round pin needs to engage the main shift valve.

Been there, done that! My experience was the same (in drive or 1st in every position)
It is a little harder to get these both aligned at the same time while under the car and a very easy error to make.

Not fun to go back in. Hardest part is deciding NOT to use gasket or fluid over again. It is the right choice to get another pan gasket and new fluid. Too easy to contaminate the fluid. I am sure there are ways to keep everything clean & tidey but not worth the risk IMHO.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
I think it is first gear, great photo. Gives me something to look at. I was guessing I probably have something not right.
Thanks
If you have 1st gear, unless something is wrong in the shifting you should also have reverse. I'd have to review my Bad Shoe FMX video to be sure what part activates to make 1st rotation turn into reverse. A clutch pack in the planetary gears? Let me know if you need more assistance and I will help where I can.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »
I really don't know which forward gear I have. I am guessing.  It is the same speed no matter where the shift lever is. Column shift. I will dig into it next week. I plan on showing it off this weekend, in and out of trailer. No driving. Summer is ending. Biggest pain is the h pipe is in the way.

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
Thanks for the photo, finally got around to it. Yep, didn't have the shift lever and valve body piston connected.
Thanks Guys.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »
Thanks for the photo, finally got around to it. Yep, didn't have the shift lever and valve body piston connected.
Thanks Guys.

Great! Not fun to go back in but a whole lot easier than pulling the trans back out! Happy it was one of the "easier" fixes!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments