1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1971 - 1973

R code 1972 Mustang

(1/2) > >>

sjrdcr:
Back in the day I owned a 1971 Boss 351 Mustang, which were only available with the 4 speed transmission. In 1972, the R code 351 engine was still being offered, the difference from the 1971 Boss being flat top pistons and open chamber heads to lower compression to 9 to 1, but still retaining a solid lifer cam. I was always under the impression that this 1972 R code version was also only available with the 4 speed. Earlier today a 1972 Mach 1 went across the block at Mecum Dallas which was claimed to be an R-code 351 with automatic trans. Ant thoughts on this? Please note that I am not referring to the Q code 351 CJ version which was also available in 1972 with both the 4 speed and the C6 automatic.

midlife:
Kevin Marti's By The Numbers says that the 1972 R code only came with the 5 transmission (4 speed manual)---no automagics.  Only 398 of them to boot!

sjrdcr:
The car was lot number T140 sold on Thursday. A couple things under the hood are definitely incorrect for an R code. The intake should be aluminum, the valve covers should also be aluminum, the air cleaner is not correct, and although there is a power steering oil cooler present I don't see an engine oil cooler which should have been present since the R code cars all came with a 3.91 traction lok. A perfect example of buyer beware and to research any vehicle that you intend to buy. I suspect that this is actually a Q code car with a doctored vin # or an R code that had it's drivetrain swapped out at some point.

66kcoupe:
I was there today to look at the car. Listed as a no sale at $14,100. It looks to have a '70 M code motor in it, all visible codes on the motor were D0OE. Originally a light pewter metallic car, couldn't find any of the 4 speed stuff left in it. Rear pumpkin tag missing. Really rusty underneath.

sjrdcr:
So it did actually have an R engine code on both the dash and door tags?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version