Author Topic: 66 Rocker Molding Restoration  (Read 1375 times)

Offline rrenz

66 Rocker Molding Restoration
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
As many of you know the reproduction rocker moldings leave little to be desired. I decided to replace mine since many would say its not worth it to restore originals since replacements are so readily available. After having to do some paint correction (because the new ones are not as long as the originals), one damaged in shipping and one bent during installation I'm starting to think restoring my originals which are in pretty nice shape is well worth it. Ive already worked out one small dent and removed a couple deep scratches. Any further tips and tricks anyone can provide to stripping off the rest of the anodizing? and then any sanding and buffing advice? thanks
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 Rocker Molding Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
As many of you know the reproduction rocker moldings leave little to be desired. I decided to replace mine since many would say its not worth it to restore originals since replacements are so readily available. After having to do some paint correction (because the new ones are not as long as the originals), one damaged in shipping and one bent during installation I'm starting to think restoring my originals which are in pretty nice shape is well worth it. Ive already worked out one small dent and removed a couple deep scratches. Any further tips and tricks anyone can provide to stripping off the rest of the anodizing? and then any sanding and buffing advice? thanks
I wish you well in your effort. I have not tried to chemically take off the anodizing but seems like I read here about someone using the HD easy Off oven cleaner to take it off. I have only used the easy off on paint. If you plan on re anodizing be sure to plan on the Brite Dip method like original. Regular anodizing is much duller. If planing on no anodizing it will be interesting to to see how long given your particular conditions the bare polished aluminum will remain shiny enough. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rrenz

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »
Im a professional painter so I plan on clearing the aluminum after its polished and then repainting the black. Ive also read about oven cleaner and have seen mixed results.. At this point its more of a "see if I can do it" kind of project. If it yields good results then great. If not then I've already installed new ones and can live with that.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
Im a professional painter so I plan on clearing the aluminum after its polished and then repainting the black. Ive also read about oven cleaner and have seen mixed results.. At this point its more of a "see if I can do it" kind of project. If it yields good results then great. If not then I've already installed new ones and can live with that.

The finish is not a "polished" one so if done with that intent they will stand out and look incorrect for the car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)