Author Topic: Scott Drake '64 1/2 -'65 Reproduction Side Cove "Handgrip mouldings". BIG FAIL!!  (Read 1942 times)

Offline NEFaurora

Hey guys,  Just an FYI....

Don't ever go with Scott Drake's '65 Side Cove Mouldings.  They are absolute crap.  For some unknown reason Scott Drake decided to re-engineer the parts and it was a big FAIL! The back sides of the mouldings on both sides don't even conture to the side coves of the car and don't even resemble the back sides of the originals or even Taiwan Repros for that matter!!!  They are the wrong shape and lip.  A Really crappy Drake part.  Probably the worst Drake part that I ever came across literally.  I don't even know how they can sell and market these,  Stay away from these!    I rarely speak out bad on a part.....but I am speaking out on these.

I actually wound up going with cheaper Taiwan repops for these.  At least they fit correctly and had the correct conture of the Originals!!!!!!!

An EPIC FAIL for these '64 1/2- '65 Side Cove mouldings.  If you see them... Run the other way!!...and go with the Taiwan repops or good used originals instead.  At least they fit right!!  Scott Drake needs to completely go back to the drawing board on these pieces...because these are COMPLETE JUNK!

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:50:15 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
I would think there would be 1000's of these available in junk yards or on part cars, no?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

Don't ever go with Scott Drake's '65 Side Cove Mouldings.  used originals instead.
Define "Side Cove Mouldings".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Define "Side Cove Mouldings".
Jim

+1, totally clueless as to the part being discussed...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

+1, totally clueless as to the part being discussed...
It may be "dialect" or "region" related. (In some parts of the country, a carbonated beverage has a name that will confuse almost anyone.)
On the other hand, the clues are:
- 64 1/2 and 65 use.
- side (that could be internal or external).
- Cove (an "indentation?)
- molding (it's visible)
The negatives:
- Handgrip (a shifter?)
- Side Cove (a geological feature found on Pluto by New Horizons?)
My conclusion:
- it's the scoop molding on the rear quarter.
- It's something else.
Jim ;)
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 196667Bob

Educated (?) guess - Quarter Panel Ornament ??
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Scott Drake's quality has gone way downhill since the company was sold.  I bought a stainless hood catch for my modified 68 fastback.  I couldn't see anything wrong with it until I installed it last week.  It's crooked!

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Scott Drake's quality has gone way downhill since the company was sold.  I bought a stainless hood catch for my modified 68 fastback.  I couldn't see anything wrong with it until I installed it last week.  It's crooked!
Scott Drake sold the company?  I did not know that...
I was always suspicious of their parts over the past decade...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Chris

64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline NEFaurora

"Quarter Panel Ornament"

Yes, Some people call these "Side Cove Mouldings" or "Handgrip" mouldings... for the '65...

But yes, The technical name could just be plain "Quarter Panel Ornament"....but that would be too easy..

PS: Yes, I had absolutely no idea that Scott Drake was sold....!!  Thanks for the info!   According to the article.... It looks like Drake cashed out early last year.... Welp, There goes the neighborhood....Now you can look forward to Corporate Conglomerate made parts!!  :)  Hehehehe....

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:52:47 AM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

Yes, Some people call these "Side Cove Mouldings" or "Handgrip" mouldings... for the '65...
I wonder who? "Side scoop moldings" I would understand, adding "Handgrip" threw me off.
Al least it's not a spelling error (tyre) or a product definition (petrol) and locational definition (boot or bonnet).
Yeah, it could have been worse.
Jim  ;)

Offline 5F08KGT

This is the first I've heard that the Drake company was sold.....how long ago was it?     VERY interesting.....